8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2013 8:11 AM by philmodjunk

Employee based database, which creates new files (rows) by date

DevonHunt

Title

Employee based database, which creates new files (rows) by date

I would like to create a layout that will be universal to all employees, not a problem on my end. The problem I am having is when the user will go into their form (ID#) I would like the current date to pop up and allow them to fill out the form based on todays date, and if they forgot to fill out or would like to edit a previous date they can put the date in and the previous data will pop up in the appropriate fields for editing. I was thinking the dates would be placed down the rows so each table would be employee based, but if the table was employee and date based that would be fine as long as the data can be looked up by employee and date.

So a databse for each employee and that database is updated daily with there progress in designated fields.I hope this is enough.

• 1. Re: Employee based database, which creates new files (rows) by date
          philmodjunk

You'll need to spell out in greater detail what your database is supposed to do for your employees before we can get down to crucial details.

Off hand, a date field can auto-enter the creation data and yet still be editable if a date other than today must be entered. Finds may be performed--either manually or via a script you create to pull up past records for an employee. And Record Level Access control may be employeed to prevent an employee from seeing any records in the table except those that they are permitted to see and edit.

• 2. Re: Employee based database, which creates new files (rows) by date
            DevonHunt

The database is going to be used to keep track of a Labs daily production, how many tests performed, how long it took for those tests, etc. This data can then be used to create a visual on a weekly, monthly, employee basis by colecting data. So all the fields will be number based.

Employees will be able to record their daily progress and be able to fully edit their previous dates. All employess will fill out the same type of layout, the layout will not be employee specific. 

• 3. Re: Employee based database, which creates new files (rows) by date
              philmodjunk

Presumably you have a table of employees with one record for each employee.

Then you will need other tables for documenting the lab's output and you will link them to records in the Employees table.

On the layout shown, what does one record in its underlying table represent?

One lab test?

• 4. Re: Employee based database, which creates new files (rows) by date
                DevonHunt
                 One record will be what the employee got done in a day, new record for every day worked. In one day there could be multiple builds with no tests by an employee, and the next day it could be all tests. On a side note is there a way to stack tabs? I am using quite a few tabs and only little fields in each tab, Or maybe have the tabs along the left side? Thanks
                • 5. Re: Employee based database, which creates new files (rows) by date
                  philmodjunk

You can place one tab control inside the panel of an existing tab control.

But before we can effictively discuss your layout design, there has to be a clear understanding of your data model upon which any such layout will be built.

One record will be what the employee got done in a day,

That's really vague. I think you need more tables so that you can record the progress of each test or project in stages with each "stage" a record linked to the employee that completed it. That requires a record for each test linked to a set of records that document the progress for that test.

This is just a general sketch, but it might look something like this:

Tests-----<testStages>-----Employees

Tests::__pkTestID = TestStages::_fkTestID
                       Employees::__pkEmployeeID = TestStages::_fkEmployeeID

And with this model, the work that an Employee completed in a given day would be the set of records in testStages linked to their employee record and dated with that day's date.

• 6. Re: Employee based database, which creates new files (rows) by date
                    DevonHunt

At the moment I am not going to make the data test based, but rather EMPLOYEE OR LAB PROGRESS in general.

So I would like to see the employees fill out their time on a "wood build" / qty of "wood builds" completed on the specified date. This means there will mean the only thing the employees will be doing is filling in the fields with numbers (quantity or time).

Maybe,

Employee---<LabDuties>---Date

Employee::__pkEmployeeID=LabDuties:__fkEmployeeID

Then the date will be updating with new records for each day.

Hope this helps

• 7. Re: Employee based database, which creates new files (rows) by date
                      DevonHunt
                       OK, Sorry, but I have gotten my database to load the data how I want to now. I am looking for a more user friendly layout now. Either stack the tabs along the sides or have radio buttons show their specified fields.
                      • 8. Re: Employee based database, which creates new files (rows) by date
                        philmodjunk

Yes, but a more user friendly approach will, in my opinion, requires a better data model for data entry.