AnsweredAssumed Answered

Employee can be Instructor or Student on Course

Question asked by pademo57 on Mar 24, 2011
Latest reply on Mar 26, 2011 by pademo57

Title

Employee can be Instructor or Student on Course

At our company an Employee starts out training as a Student and once they have enough training they become an Instructor.

I've tried to set this up in a Filemaker Database but I'm having a problem relating the files and maybe it's the way I'm trying to relate them.

Employee File: Empl_ID, Empl_Fname, Empl_Lname, Empl_Code ( Empl_Code for Student = S and Instructor = I)

Course File: Course_ID, Course_Name, Course_StartDate, Course_EndDate, etc.

What I wanted to do on the Course Layout was to have a portal for the Instructor and another portal for the Students.

As a new Course was created you could select from the Instructor portal an Instructor and you could select from the Student portal the Student(s) for the course.

I got this to work by creating a separate file for Instructor and Student which used the Course_ID in the Instructor and Student File and related it to the Course File.  

I also wanted to show in the Employee Layout the courses each employee was associated with. But this is where Filemaker created a second Employee file and when I try to show the Courses in a portal on the Employee File it only shows the associated courses for the students and not the instructors.  Argh? Am I making this clear?

Maybe I am relating these files the wrong way. Any help would be appreciated. 

Outcomes