3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2011 11:39 AM by philmodjunk

Employee Reimbursement Rates  FM Pro 11 Adv

MichaelNeck

Title

Employee Reimbursement Rates  FM Pro 11 Adv

I have employees that work with multiple customers of my company. Each employee is paid differently depending on skill level and customer.  I have created a data base to maintain employee  information.  How do I create a field/fields that allows me to input the companies my employee works for and the associated reimbursement rate for that employee? I'm trying to get something that would look like this:

Employee:  John Doe     Reimbursement Rate:   xyz company  $50.00/hr

abc company   $25.00/hr 

qrs company    $20.00/hr

• 1. Re: Employee Reimbursement Rates  FM Pro 11 Adv
          philmodjunk

I have employees that work with multiple customers of my company.

That's called a one to many relationship. It can be implemented with a separate table for customers and link from customers to employees by employee ID.

But I suspect the following is also true:

Do multiple employees work with the same customer?

If so, you have a many to many relationship and this requires an added join table to link employees to customers. Please post back with confirmation if this is the case and I can then explain how to work with many to many relationships in greater detail.

• 2. Re: Employee Reimbursement Rates  FM Pro 11 Adv
            MichaelNeck

Thank you for help.  Yes, I need to create this as a many to many relationship, as multiple employees will also work with one or more customers.  Would also like to thank you for a post you put up over a year ago that I just used on a phone number calcualtion field.  It works great! I'm very inexperienced and your post was easy to follow.

• 3. Re: Employee Reimbursement Rates  FM Pro 11 Adv
              philmodjunk

Ok, Many to many relationships are set up like this:

Employees----<Employee_Customer>-----Customers

Employees::__pk_EmployeeID = Employee_Customer::_fk_EmployeeID
              Customers::__pk_CustomerID = Employee_Customer::_fk_CustomerID

A portal to Employee_Customer on an Employees layout can list all customers to which they are linked. A Portal to the same table on a customers layout can list all employees that worked with that customer.

Data specific to that pairing of employee and Customer can be stored in fields defined in the Employee_Customer table (called a "join" table).

Reports can be set up on layouts based on the join table to list data from both Employee and Customer tables.

Here's a download link to a demo file on many to many relationships you may want to examine to see some options in how to set this up:  http://www.4shared.com/file/dZ0bjclw/ManyToManywDemoWExtras.html