5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2013 10:07 PM by philmodjunk

Empty (Non-Existent) Records Showing Up in Report

kariekristine

Title

Empty (Non-Existent) Records Showing Up in Report

When I run a report to find open orders, it pulls the information fine, but there are blank "records" at the top of the report.  When I click on the arrow to go to the record, it just re-opens the report.  If I do a search in the table that the information is pulled from and look for emtpy fields, there are none.  Any ideas on how to get rid of these blank lines?  

blank_fields.jpg

• 1. Re: Empty (Non-Existent) Records Showing Up in Report
          philmodjunk

We'd need to know more about how the layout is designed. Is this a list view layout? Are the fields shown from the table occurrence specified for your layout or a related table occurrence?

A view of this layout in layout mode might shed a bit of light on the issue.

• 2. Re: Empty (Non-Existent) Records Showing Up in Report
            kariekristine

These records are from a related table where the line items are defined.  I'm attaching a screen shot of the edit screen.  

• 3. Re: Empty (Non-Existent) Records Showing Up in Report
              philmodjunk

These records are from a related table where the line items are defined

This is not actually the case.

Your layout is based on a table occurrence named ProductionOrderLineItems.

Catalog number, Customer, Product amount, ExpectedDate, RevisedDate, Type of Order, Last Made By are all fields defined in that Table Occurrence's data source table

Date Order Rec'd is the only field I can clearly identify as coming from a related table.

I suspect that you have 3 blank line item records in your original screen shot. Blank Line Item records are very easy to create by accident in many systems. I've had to add "clean up" scripts in some of my systems that find and delete the blank ones after we close for the day just to tidy things up a bit.

Try this test:

Enter find mode.

Put just the single character = in the Catalog Number field. Perform the find.

I predict that you'll find at least 3 matching records unless they have since been edited to no longer be a blank record--which is another possibility to keep in mind.

• 4. Re: Empty (Non-Existent) Records Showing Up in Report
                kariekristine

You are right. . . if I do a search with the "=" in the catalog number field, it does return the 3 blank records.  When I click on the "related record" (red arrow" button, it just brings up another copy of the same report instead of an actual record, but when I opened a window with just the line items on it and did the same search, I found 3 items that were orphaned when I deleted the "parent" page.  I went in and deleted those 3 line items and now my report is lovely again.  Hooray!!!  I'm so happy to have your help.  Thank you!

• 5. Re: Empty (Non-Existent) Records Showing Up in Report
                  philmodjunk

When I click on the "related record" (red arrow" button, it just brings up another copy of the same report instead of an actual record

That indicates that there was no related record linked to the record where you clicked this button. You may find this thread on GTRR informative: The Complete Go To Related Record