You can add calculation fields for each of these fields to use as field labels. The calculation returns the text for the label only if there is data in the field.
Example: If ( Not Isempty (colour) ; "Colour" )
Then you can set both the calculation label fields and data fields to "slide up" and possibly to "resize enclosing part"--if you want to remove unused space when printing or previewing.
To close up the unused space in Browse mode would require a restructuring of your table to put these fields in a related table where you can use a portal for this data entry.
Key facts about sliding layout objects:
- It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
- Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
- All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
- Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
- Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
- Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
- Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
- In FMP13, hidden objects (”Hide object when”) will slide/resize.