7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2011 10:52 AM by JohnSebastian

Emulate bento

JohnSebastian

Title

Emulate bento

I have had problems with the limitations of bento , so I am testing filemaker pro and filemaker go.  I have my database set almost like bento however, I have to have the ability to sort to collections . Can I create a button or drop down list that will sort like a collectio using the sort name itself to sort, much like the collections button in bento. Also missing, I fear, is the thumbnail scrolling bento list that shows all the records. How can this also be immolated in a database I build in filemaker pro?

• 1. Re: Emulate bento
          philmodjunk

Not being a Bento user, I'm not sure I can fully picture what you want in each case.

Can I create a button or drop down list that will sort like a collectio using the sort name itself to sort, much like the collections button in bento.

You can define a field with a drop down list or pop up menu of sort options. A script trigger can then run when the field is exited (drop down) or modified (pop up) to check the value selected in the field to determine which sort to perform.

thumbnail scrolling bento list that shows all the records.

In FileMaker, you have two options for this. You can set up a table view or a list view that lists all the records in rows. You can perform a find to see just a few records on this layout or can Select Show All in the Records menu to see all the records. You can then add a button to this layout (List view only) where clicking this button switches you to a form view of the same record so that you can see a more detailed view of this record.

• 2. Re: Emulate bento
            TSGal

John Sebastian:

Thank you for your post.

Even though "PhilModJunk" doesn't know Bento, his answers are correct (Thank you!).

You can create a drop down field with specific values, that when selected, will initiate a script to Sort Ascending, Sort Descending, etc.  If you want, you can have the button switch you to Table View (like Bento) and displays a set of records in the desired sorted order.  This list can also display thumbnail images.

What have you tried?  And what barriers have you encountered?

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Emulate bento
              TSGal

John Sebastian:

Your email was forwarded to me.

To create a button, pull down the View menu and select Layout View.  In the Status Toolbar (along the top), there will be a number of graphic icons.  For simplicity, click the rectangle icon, and draw a rectangle on the Layout.  Once the rectangle is drawn, pull down the Format menu and select Button Setup.  On the left side, scroll down more than halfway and select "View As".  In the options to the right, change the pop-up next to Specify and select "View as Table".  Click "OK".

Go to Browse Mode, and when you click the button, you now switch to View as Table.

To create a drop down field with specific values, go into Layout View, pull down the View menu and select "Inspector".  A small window appears with a lot of detailed information.  Click once on the field that you want the specific values to appear.  In the Inspector, click the Data tab, and for the pop-up next to "Control style", change this to drop-down list or pop-up menu (depending what you want).  in the area beneath that, the option "Values from" with a pop-up is displayed.  To the right of that, click the pencil icon.  Another window is displayed to manage your value lists.  Click "New", enter a name, and select the last option "Use custom values".  In the box beneath that, enter the values you want displayed.  Click OK twice.  Go to Browse view to see how this works.

Pull down the Scripts menu and select Manage Scripts...  In the Manage Scripts window, click "New".  Name the script "Sort".

The left side of this script contains all the actions that can be taken in a script.  Find "If" and double-click on it.  In the right side, you will see:

If []
              End If

Double-click on "If []", and a Specify Calculation dialog box appears.  You are going to compare the pop-up list field name to the pop-up list value.  For example, if your pop-up/drop down field name is named "TEST", and your value list contains "First Name" and "Last Name", then enter the calculation:

TEST = "First Name"

Click OK.  Your script should now read:

If [TEST = "First Name"]
              End If

On the left side, double-click Sort Records.  On the right side, under options, enter a check next to "Perform without dialog" and "Specify sort order".  Another window appears to specify the sort order.  Select the First Name field and move it to the right side.  Click OK.  Your script now looks like:

If [TEST = "First Name"]
                 Sort Records [Restore; No dialog]
              End If

Close the window for the script and save it.  Close the Manage Scripts menu.

Once again, return to Layout Mode, click once on the TEST drop-down field, pull down the Format menu and select "Set Script Triggers".  Put a check mark next to "OnObjectModify", and a Specify Script button appears.  Select the script that was just created and click OK.  Click OK to save the Script Trigger.

Go to Browse, and if you select "First Name" from the drop-down/pop-up, the records will be sorted by First Name.

This should give you a good starting point.  Expand the existing script to include each of the possible sorting choices.

Let me know if you need clarification for any of the above steps.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Emulate bento
                JohnSebastian
                I tried following your script, no results,,, have you seen the side list in be to wherre the thumbnails and first line description appear for navigation.? This is what I need to appear when I transfer my databover to filemaker pro,,, the navigation in filemaker pro is horrid, two little dot at the bottom of the screen. I have to remove my iPad case cause it covers the navigation,, not good,, I would much rather use the bento navigation, also bento presents collections,,,, a popup that shows different collections sorted as you go, I am not achieving this in filemaker ,,, can this be done.. I would just use bento but the limitations of two devices knocks me out of it, and the horrid overwrite syncing in bento, not being able to save work on the iPad, is not acceptable,,,, HELP
                • 5. Re: Emulate bento
                  philmodjunk

I suggest you take a step back from your efforts and set aside some time to learn how Filemaker works. I can be set up to do what you want, but it is a much more sophisticated piece of software than FileMaker and it will take you some time to learn all the many options avaialable to you .

This statement seems odd:

"the navigation in filemaker pro is horrid, two little dot at the bottom of the screen."

There aren't any navigation buttons at the bottom of the screen. There are 3 controls for zoom, a control for hiding/revealing the status area and a drop down for selecting the mode. Except for the button for toggling the status area, all of these controls have duplicate menu options in the view menu at the top of the screen.

• 6. Re: Emulate bento
                    TSGal

John Sebastian:

What occurs with your script?  Can you be a little more specific?

You can create your own side list in FileMaker Pro.  Each button can represent a Bento "Library" or "Collection" that when clicked, would take you to the specific layout.  FileMaker Go will display the entire FileMaker Pro layout, you can swipe downwards to view more of the layout.

Bento syncs with two devices.  It does not do any sharing like FileMaker Go.  In Bento, the information on the iPad should update the information on the Mac when you sync; not the other way around, unless you are creating a new sync when the iOS device has already been synced previously.  At that point, the data from the iOS is backed up to a Backup folder on the Mac, and then the Mac database would overwrite the database on the iOS device.

The suggestion from PhilModJunk is correct.  Take some time to learn FileMaker Pro so you can understand how it works.  I gave you a brief tutorial on Scripts and Buttons, but you may find more in the User's Guide and expand on it.

I'm also confused about the "two little dot at the bottom of the screen."  Can you be a little more specific?

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Emulate bento
                      JohnSebastian

I was refering to the navigation it EQUATES to when transfered to Filemaker GO,,,,,, lickily I learnd how to make my own move forward and previous bottons and place them on the top of my form... We out here are using BOTH the desktop and filemaker go, so sometimes out problems result in NOT what is seen at desktop level but how filemaker has translated it to filmaker go