2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2012 3:37 AM by ArthurJoyce

encrypt or hide a field

ArthurJoyce

Title

encrypt or hide a field

I've been searching for an answer to this but haven't found an answer yet, that I can use.

I developed a contact list with very specialized fields to fit our church situation where I'm using this for each congregation member. There is a "note" field in the database and I am trying to make it so that only certain people can see the contents of the note field. I've tried to find something to encrypt the field or to hide the field and then reveal it again if the right password is given. I've looked at the plug-in "Troi Encrypter Plug-in" but that seems rather complicated and seems to me to be more overkill than what I need to have. I'm not really worried about someone "breaking in", and by hacking the database, read the note fields. I just want to keep curious eyes away from confidential information in the fields. 

Is there a way to do this without buying a plug-in that could eventually go bad or break? Is there a relatively easy solution that I'm missing?

Any help is appreciated.

Art

• 1. Re: encrypt or hide a field
          philmodjunk

There are several related approaches you can use to limit access to this field. The first and most secure option is to put this field in its own related record so that you can use record level access control to limit access to these notes on a record by record basis.

See "Editing record access privileges" in FileMaker Help and check out this particular sub section: "Entering a formula for limiting access on a record-by-record basis" for a detailed description of how to set this up.

On a more modest and less secure level, you can give your users different accounts with privilege sets that identify their level of access. A user with an account that has a "low level" privilege set is not allowed to see the contents of thes field. Users with [Full Access} or a high level privlege set are allowed. You then uses scripts to control the visibility of this field. The simplest to set up is to have two nearly identical layouts--one with the field on it and one without. When a user with limited access opens the file, scripts take the user only to the layout without the field. Users with higher access permissions are taken to the field that does have the field.

It's also possible to use a tab control or other means to hide the field from view and thus use just one layout, but the field is only visible when scripts/calculations determine that the current user is permitted to see that field.

Here's a demo file that illustrates several different ways to make objects appear and disappear on a layout: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8levaz6deiyzjr8/LayoutObjectVisibilityControlDemo.fp7

• 2. Re: encrypt or hide a field
            ArthurJoyce

Thank you!