4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2011 9:17 AM by mgores

Enter key still a major problem. Need this fixed.

slazer33

Title

Enter key still a major problem. Need this fixed.

I posted this in the forum a little while ago but the only response directed me to a website which advocated downloading programs to change keyboard prompts. This problem ONLY affects me in Filemaker - otherwise my keyboard works fine. Usually shift+enter adds another space but lately even that is leading to a "flash" and simply moving me out of the text box. I use filemaker as a basic database - I don't do scripting or anything - but finding a way of using the enter key, or really any method of going from here

to here

would be really nice. Why is "enter" causing me to leave the field instead of adding a space?

I recently switched computers and I'm noticing that the "enter" key, which used to adequately leave a space between lines (for example, I like to leave an extra space between paragraphs when taking long notes, blog-style), on the new computer makes the whole program flash and leave the box I was currently writing in. Working on an HP, I now have to hold the fn key along with enter to get a new line. Similarly, making a selection from a drop-down box sent me to the next box (i.e. I did not have to tab over). Any idea on fixes would be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Enter key still a major problem. Need this fixed.
          mgores

in layout mode, click on your note field and look at the inspector window, data tab.  about halfway down there should be a behavior window where you can select which keys take you to the next field.  deselect your enter and return keys if you do not want them to take you to the next field.  For the paragraph spacing, click on the appearance tab and you can define your line spacing and indents for that field.

• 2. Re: Enter key still a major problem. Need this fixed.
            slazer33

Thank you for your response, but the tab key is still the only one that sends me to the next field (and in layout mode it is marked as such). Hitting enter without including the "fn" key just leaves the data field entirely. to resume typing at all I have to click on the field again.

• 3. Re: Enter key still a major problem. Need this fixed.
              philmodjunk

Which key are you calling the "enter" key? On windows keyboards, two different keys, that enter two different characters are both labled "enter" where they are labled "return" (as part of the Qwerty layout) and "enter" (as part of the number pad).

If you hit the "enter" key that is part of the qwerty layout, you should get a new line started in your text field unless the behavior setting is set to go to the next field when "return" is pressed.

If you want differnt behavior, you'd need to use the OnObjectKeystroke script trigger to detect the (number pad) enter key and substitute a return character for the enter key in order to change this behavior.

Use one of the following two IF lines, not both, depending on what you want here:

If [ Code ( Get ( TriggerKeystroke ) ) = 10 // enter key was pressed]
              If [ Code ( Get ( TriggerKeystroke ) ) = 10 and get ( TriggerModifierKeys ) =  - // shift and enter keys were pressed]
                 Set variable [$Table ; value: get ( activeFieldTablename ) ]
                 Set variable [$Field ; value: get ( activeFieldName ) ]
                 Set Field By Name [ $Table & "::" & $Field ; GetField ( $Table & "::" & $Field ) & ¶]
                 Exit script [False] //prevents enter key behavior from exiting the field
              End If

This script will work with any field for which you specify this script trigger..

• 4. Re: Enter key still a major problem. Need this fixed.
                mgores

Sounds like you are using a laptop where there is only an Enter key, not a Return and an Enter key.  When pressing the enter key the record is commited and Filemaker treats it like you clicked out of the field.  You could capture the keystroke with a layout script on keystroke trigger to capture the enter key and insert a carriage return instead of leaving the field.