3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2013 4:42 PM by philmodjunk

Entering data in multiple records at once?

DennisDunbar_1

Title

Entering data in multiple records at once?

I have a list I made for my marketing contacts. In that database I have a field for "Last Outreach". Since I just sent out an email blast to this list I'd like to be able to enter the date of that email blast in all the records at once saving me the tediousness of doing it one by one.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can fill out a field in a form for multiple records at once?

Thanks!

Dennis Dunbar

www,dunbardigital.com

• 1. Re: Entering data in multiple records at once?
          philmodjunk

Take a look at Replace Field Contents.

This tool can modify data in large numbers of records and cannot be undone, so research it in help and make a back up copy before using it for the first time.

• 2. Re: Entering data in multiple records at once?
            DennisDunbar_1

Thanks for the Replace Field Contents suggestion. That works great for when I want to change what's in an entire field. Any suggestion for how I could add text, not replace all the contents of a field?

For instance I have a database I've built to track my marketing efforts. Under the field for "Promos Sent" I'd like to just add text referring to the latest promo I sent leaving the previous text as well. 

So if only 75% of my records have something like "Golfer" and I want to add "Boeing 787" to all the records without losing the "Golfer" text that is only in some of them how would I do that?

• 3. Re: Entering data in multiple records at once?
              philmodjunk

First, this sounds like you are packing data into a text field that would be better added to a new related record instead.

But if your field where named "TextField", the calculation you could use might be:

YourTable::TextField & "Boeing 787"

or you might  use:

List ( YourTable::textField ; "Boeing 787" )

either of these expressions could be used inside a replace field contents calculation. The second option starts the appended text on the next line as it will insert a return between the existing text and the quoted text that is being added to the field.