2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2011 12:54 PM by KenClose

Entering Data into a Join Table

KenClose

Title

Entering Data into a Join Table

Hello: First post here with a real newbie question, but one I have been working on for days to no avail.  I have set up, for training purposes, a simple set of tables for a Student/Course mini db.  Of course, I have a join table to connect the two other tables, but am at a loss of how to add records so the thing all works.

Student Table: Student ID, Name

Course Table: Course ID, Course Name

Join Table: StudentID, Course ID .... but what else, and where and how to rig a form to enter new record data. And into which table(s) are the records entered? 

I believe I would populate the Courses table ahead of time, manually.  But then new students would be added, with Course selection from a drop down list.  But where?  How?

This is so seemingly simple I am embarrassed to ask but yet I can not find any guidance on such a simple task. Who is willing to help me?

Thanks so much,

Ken

• 1. Re: Entering Data into a Join Table
          philmodjunk

Enter students into new records created on a layout based on the Student Table. Enter courses into new records created on the Course table.

Use a portal to Join placed on a student layout, to link that student to existing courses records. Use a portal to the join table on a courses layout to link students to the current course.

Student---<Join>----Course

student::StudentID = Join::StudentID  //enable "Allow creation of records via this relationship" for Join here
          Course::CourseID = Join::CourseID //enable "allow creation of records via this relationship" for Join here.

In a portal on the student layout, add a drop down or pop up menu for selecting the course. In a portal on the course layout add a drop down or pop up for selecting a student.

Here's a demo file that matches contracts to companies in a many to many relationship:  http://www.4shared.com/file/PLhjErzu/Contracts_to_Companies.html

• 2. Re: Entering Data into a Join Table
            KenClose

Many thanks for the file and the explanation.  That will get me out of my mental logjam....

Ken