You may have some of this already...
You would need:
1. Two tables (Study, Submission)
2. The two tables related by the uniqueID number
Both tables need to have this field, and you can relate them under File>Manage Dbaase>relationships window, just drage the filed from one Table to the matching field in the other Table
3. Double click the relationship and allow creation of records in the Submission Table via the relationship (check boxes near the bottom)
4. A layout based on the Study table
5. fields on the layout from both the Study table and the Submission table as appropriate.
Now when you enter data in the layout into fields that are actually on the Submissions Table, it will update or create a related record in the Submission table as needed.
Please note that the above description describes a simple one-to-one relationship which I assume is what you're after.
Does that cover it, or did I miss something?