4 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2013 11:53 AM by GuyStevens

Entering jpegs into container fields

ldyk

Title

Entering jpegs into container fields

I recently inherited a disk with a single file folder of almost 4K jpegs, almost all of them are scans with only a numerical file name which doesn't sort adequately.

How can I get each jpeg into a Filemaker record so each can be identified with more than a file name?

Is there a better way to do this than with Filemaker? Opening a new record, and dropping each jpeg individually works, but not very well.

What do yo suggest? Tnx.   LDD

• 1. Re: Entering jpegs into container fields
          GuyStevens

Hey Larry.

You can import an entire folder full of images into a table. You first have to make a table and these are the fields you are going to need. (Or that you could import)

Image - This is the actual image and should go in a container field.
               Thumbnail - Like it says, a smaller version of the image and also goes into a container field.
               Filename - The filename can be put in a text field.
               Filepath - Can also be put into a text field.

Then when you import you have to ask yourself: Will I store the images inside the Filemaker database? Or will I only store a reference?

Storing a reference keeps your database file small. But if you ever move the images or make any change to their filepath filemaker won't see them anymore.

Importing the images into the database does give you a lage database size but your images are saved inside. So you can copy and move your database file anywhere you want, the images will always be in there. And you can export them again later on.

Then you can add as many fields as you want. Like description, location, keywords, tags, ...

I hope this helps.

• 2. Re: Entering jpegs into container fields
            ldyk

Greetings DeSaint —

I tried what I understood your message to be. I'm awestruck! It worked!!

The file I want to import to FMP is a disk with a single folder containing 3,908 JPEGs. After importing a folder of 126 JPEGs in seconds, I'm tempted to try doing a single import of  that big folder, but I think that's impracticle, considering my lack of computer literacy. Any suggestions on how to break up the big folder?

On my import, I had no problem with the fields, but I don't understand the use/purpose of file thumbnail (which in table format looks the same as the image column) and the file path (which shows only "file:"). Is there a way I can indicate the origin? What normally appears in this field?

From looking at these records, I see some images have been entered multiple times, each time generating a new file name. Some items were scanned multiple times (different settings/qualities), some were from different originals from multiple donors, some had the file name changed to fit different ID systems, etc. Is there a way to assign a specific, sortable ID for an image as a permanent address? Then the other names could show "dup of xxx" which would allow some tracking without duplicating the image.

There are also several volunteers to help identify these images. Any suggestions on how to accommodate several descriptions (brief paragraphs) of one image? Someone thought we could put these on line, and anyone anywhere could enter info, but not change the original file. 

Is FMP adaptable to making slide shows and power point presentations?

Tnx and rgds —  LDD

• 3. Re: Entering jpegs into container fields
              GuyStevens

Hey Larry

In table view the Image and the Thumbnail will look the same, because the only difference is the size. But if you are in table view and your box is only 24 pixels high you will not be able to see the difference in image size. Both pictures are resized to fit in the little box so they appear the same size. But the image has the original size and the thumbnail is smaller.

You can't see the file path because the filepath is like a very long single word. And the box is to small to show the entire word. Go ahead and click in the Filepath field and you'll see more text pop up.

The main problem is that you are in table view and you need to cerate a nice looking layout. With larger container fields.

In terms of organizing your data, there are an enormous amount of things you can do. You can assign a category to each record and sort accordingly. You can add names, serial numbers, keywords, descriptions.

You can relate other tables to the images containing comments, descriptions by maybe even different people etc. The possibilities are endless.

The question is: How good are you at working with or learning Filemaker?

And how far are you willing to go?

If you create an Id field that's set up to auto enter a Serial number. And you have those entered during import (there is a second dialugue that pops up during import that asks you if you want Filemaker to perform auto enter options). You can set up a unique ID for every record. And that's usually what you would want to do.

I don't know how to break up your big folder. I don't think you can. Because the thing you are dealing with are images, thay don't really have any data attached to them yet.

Maybe you can do funky stuff to your images once imported in Filemaker using the filename or something. But that really depends on the logic behind your filenames etc.

I made you a quick little example you can play around with to see some possibilities:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18099008/Demo_Files_FMP12/ImageImport/ImageImport.fmp12

• 4. Re: Entering jpegs into container fields
                GuyStevens

I made two views. A form view and a list view:

Layout

List View