1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 18, 2012 11:43 PM by davidanders

Entries in one database create entries in another (FM Pro 11)

KCr

Title

Entries in one database create entries in another (FM Pro 11)

I know this has probably been resolved in another question, but I haven't been able to find it.

So, my delima.......I have a database where I need to create contact cards (the contacts don't change frequently), but I have other databases in which the information changes frequently.

What I am trying to do.......Create a contact card database that, every time a new contact is created, creates a new entry in my other databases with the contact's First name, last name and then varying information depending on the database (address for one database, date of birth in onother database).

Thank you for your help!

Kevin

• 1. Re: Entries in one database create entries in another (FM Pro 11)
          davidanders

If each database has a serial number ID starting at 001 and incrementing by 1 and a relationship between the two is created based on that ID. When database A has a new contact created with serial number 005, and the name is entered, then if database B has a new record created with the same ID number, AND it contains related fields for the database A name field, the data will magically appear.

This is the simplest way to sychronize the two databases. There are 6 or 7 other ways, mostly involving scripts and or timed events.

David Anders
          The Computer Guy, Seattle