5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2010 5:17 PM by KarineFredette

EPSF graphics inserted on Mac layouts not displaying

samh

Title

EPSF graphics inserted on Mac layouts not displaying

I have used FileMaker for years and have many databases virtually all of which have EPSF graphics included on layouts. I recently upgraded to Snow Leopard (v 10.6.3) and noticed that none of the graphics on my existing databases were displaying. As I was using FileMaker 8.5 at that time I assumed that this was probably an error caused by a mismatch between the new system and the older application. I upgraded to FileMaker 11 in the hope that this would correct the fault but without success.

When I insert a .eps graphic on a layout all that is displayed are the four black square corner markers. I have tried recreating the .esp graphics using Illustrator but the problem persists. I have inserted Photoshop (.psd) graphics and they work fine as do .jpg. However, I don't relish the task of having to alter all the graphics on all the layouts on all my databases from .eps to .psd

Is this a FileMaker fault of an OS fault?

• 1. Re: EPSF graphics inserted on Mac layouts not displaying

samh:

Thanks for your post.

FileMaker container fields will store any file type as a file and display the same icon as your operating system of choice would display (Mac 10.6 in this case). Only certain types of files will display when inserted into a conatinaer field by FileMaker itself. Everything else relies on the built in functionality of the operating system.

EPSF files are not a file type supported for direct display via FileMaker, and would instead display as files. The same is true for PDF files, but Mac inculed in its operating system a built in function to display these files graphically, thus your ability to see them on a Mac based system. If the same database were to be taken to a Windows based machine the PDF files would display as files instead of images. My guess would be that the new version of the Mac OS is no longer displaying that file type, but Apple support would have to confirm this.

If you would like to request the feature for consideration in a future release please fill out the form found at the link below. I suggest also including an example on how this feature would be useful to you in your everyday use of FileMaker to better let our developers know how beneficial this feature would be.

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

TSRaven,

FileMaker Inc.

• 2. Re: EPSF graphics inserted on Mac layouts not displaying
            samh

TSRaven

Many thanks for your response. I should make it clear that the files I'm having trouble with are not those in container fields but those inserted directly on to layouts. They include things like company logos and pictures which I use as buttons to improve the general look of the databases. Does this make a difference to your response?

I'm beginning to think that this is more of an Apple problem than a FileMaker one as I have a couple of other issues since I upgraded to OS 10.6.3

samh

• 3. Re: EPSF graphics inserted on Mac layouts not displaying

samh:

Let me start by correcting a point I was wrong about. EPSF files are still supported in FMP 11, contrary to my previous statement. I apologize for the error.

Secondly I was able to reproduce your issue here. There is a bug that affects snow leopard only that prevents EPSF images to display when stored in a container field. When I tried to insert as a picture directly to the layout as a background image I received the same behavior. I am currently working with our developers to confirm if this is part of the same bug, or a different issue. Once I have more information I will update this thread.

In the mean time, you are welcome to convert the images to another picture format, as this seems to only be affecting EPSF images at this time. It is not the ideal final solution as you mentioned having alot of images you would have to convert, but if it is a viable workaround then it will at least allow your imagbes to be displayed.

TSRaven,

FileMaker Inc.

• 4. Re: EPSF graphics inserted on Mac layouts not displaying
                samh

TSRaven

Thanks for the update and I look forward to a solution in due course.

adbph

• 5. Re: EPSF graphics inserted on Mac layouts not displaying
                  KarineFredette

Do you have any solution ?

If I install filemaker 11, should I be able to see the eps image in my container file.

Thanks

kf