7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2010 1:21 PM by camposr

Equivalent of Bento's Related Data Table in Filemaker 11????

camposr

Title

Equivalent of Bento's Related Data Table in Filemaker 11????

OSX 10.6

Filemaker 11

Hi 

I built a database in Bento to keep track of all our jobs.  At the same time i had another library of all our freelancers.  On a specific job record i could add 1 or 6 composers using Bento's related data table by simply clicking on the plus sign it would pop up all my freelancers and i could select who worked on the job....

At this point i have built my full database in Filemaker with everything i need it to do and i have all my freelancers imported as well.  The only thing that is holding me back is this one feature i have tried Portals and Lookups and they work great if i only had to add one person per job but i need the ability to add more freelancers if i need to

Thanks

• 1. Re: Equivalent of Bento's Related Data Table in Filemaker 11????
          philmodjunk

Since a portal can list multiple records in multiple rows--one row for each composer--this should be able to do the job for you. Can you explain why it doesn't?

• 2. Re: Equivalent of Bento's Related Data Table in Filemaker 11????
            camposr

Im sure it something im doing wrong with the Portals because everything i read on them points to it being the solution for me....

right now the only way i was able to set up a portal was by having a composer name field that looked up the composers info and that would populate the portal... 

Now i would run into an issue when i wanted to use another line of the portal because since my composer name field was already populated it would populate the field with the same composer...

If i could make a portal that had 5-10 lines and gave me the option to choose a composer and populate the 4 other fields(email, phone, genre) that i need while still allowing me to use that bottom blank line to pick another composer and have it populate those same 4 fields for the new composer i would be done with this database.....

thanks so much for you help!!

• 3. Re: Equivalent of Bento's Related Data Table in Filemaker 11????
              philmodjunk

You need to take a look at your tables and relationships. The solution to getting a portal to work for you lies there.

What tables (table occurrences actually) do you have in Manage | Database | Relationships?

How are they linked?

• 4. Re: Equivalent of Bento's Related Data Table in Filemaker 11????
                camposr

I have the composer field in the Projects table related to the Name Field in my Freelancers table.... Projects table pulls info from Freelancers table

• 5. Re: Equivalent of Bento's Related Data Table in Filemaker 11????
                  philmodjunk

And there lies your problem. Your relationship as defined only allows you to match one composer to one project. You need to be able to match a group of composers to a given project.

Do you have a Project ID field. If not, you should define an auto-entered serial number in Projects to serve as ProjectID. You should also define a Composer ID field in Freelancers and use it in place of the name fields. People change their names and you don't want a name change to mess up your database.

You appear to have a list of projects in one table and a list of Composers in your Freelancers table. Any given project could have any number of assigned composers. Therefore you need a third table to use to assign a list of composers from your Freelancers table to you a given project.

Your relationship will look like this:

Projects ----<Project_FreeLancer>----Freelancers

The relationships are:

Projects:: ProjectID = Project_FreeLancer:: ProjectID (enable "Allow creation of records..." for Project_FreeLancer)

FreeLancers::ComposerID = Project_FreeLancer::ComposerID

Now you can place a portal to Project_FreeLancer on your Projects layout and use it to assign composers from FreeLancers. Put at least the following two fields in your portal row: Project_FreeLancer::ComposerID and FreeLancer::Name

You then set up Project_FreeLancer::ComposerID as a two column value list with FreeLancer::ComposerID in column 1 and FreeLancer::Name in column 2.

To assign a composer to a project, go to that project's project record, click in the bottom blank row of the portal and select the composer from the list that drops down.

Further suggestions:

If you haven't already, look up "Portal" in the filemaker help and read up on the subject.

Research "Many to Many" relationships and "Join Tables" here and in other filemaker forums.

This is a lot to throw at a Newbie, take it slow and ask questions when you get stuck.

• 6. Re: Equivalent of Bento's Related Data Table in Filemaker 11????
                    camposr

Thanks you so much this makes sense so far i should have a chance this evening to set it up!!!!! If i have any questions i will post them here!

again thanks you so much for you time and your help!

• 7. Re: Equivalent of Bento's Related Data Table in Filemaker 11????
                      camposr

It works!!!!!!! Luckily i had been reading a lot about Portals and Relationships but i just couldn't apply it to my scenario...your instructions made complete sense and it all works perfectly now!!!!! thank you so much for you help!!!!!

:)