4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2012 4:40 PM by davidanders

Error 736 when exporting to Excel - how much is too much??

BrentHedden1

Title

Error 736 when exporting to Excel - how much is too much??

I've got a scripted export using the 'Save Records as Excel' step on a large set of records (800,000 records with 11 fields).  It exports the records as expected and the file is fine, but it's throwing a 736 error - 'Too much data to export to this format; it will be trucated'. 

The help files don't indicate how much is too much.  What are the limits for this, and how would the info be truncated??  The results look just fine to me. 

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Error 736 when exporting to Excel - how much is too much??
          philmodjunk

I don't know what is the upper limit and whether exporting to .xls vs. xlsx or whether different FileMaker versions make any difference, but I have had to carefully export subsets of my total records to be exported into separate excel files before.

The info will be truncated by not exporting all the rows if there are more records than can be exported. Don't know if too many fields might trip the same error, but 0.8 million records suggests that there are more records than can be exported to excel. Scroll to the last row in the Excel file and compare it to the last record in the records you exported. I would expect that the last record in your Excel file is not the same record as the last record to be exported in your found set of records to be exported.

• 2. Re: Error 736 when exporting to Excel - how much is too much??
            Sorbsbuster

The number of fields is fine.  For xls the record limit is approx 64,000.  xlsx is significantly higher (finally).

• 3. Re: Error 736 when exporting to Excel - how much is too much??
              BrentHedden1

I'm using XLSX type.  The system actually exported all 820,000 records, and I'm able to open up the file and view it. 

Comparing the last few records on both sides revealed the same information.  So I honestly can't understand why it's throwing this error.

• 4. Re: Error 736 when exporting to Excel - how much is too much??
                davidanders

FMP ver 7, 8, 9 export to xls limits
                http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5310/~/filemaker-pro-8-export-to-excel-limitations
                Boundary conditions / Limitations:
                     The error number, 3904, will be displayed after the export if the user exceeds any of following limitations. 
                     The limitations are:

•           
                                 65,536 rows by 256 columns (records and fields for FileMaker users)

•      
                •           
                                 32,767 characters in any given field.

Any database that exceeds any of the limitations will be truncated.
                Number Limitations:

•           
                                 Maximum precision, 15 digits.

•      
                •           
                                 Largest positive number, 9.99999999999999E307.

•      
                •           
                                 Largest negative number, -1E-307.

•      
                •           
                                 Smallest positive number, 2.229E-308.

•      
                •           
                                 Smallest negative number, 2.2251E-308.

Date limitations:

•           
                                 Excel can support FileMaker's maximum date.

•      
                •           
                                 The minimum date supported by Excel is 01/01/1900.

Time limitations:

•           
                                 The minimum time/timestamp supported by Excel is 00:00:00.

•      
                •           
                                 The maximum time/timestamp supported by Excel is 12/31/9999 23:59:59

FileMaker Pro 10 can import data from and export data toExcel 2007/2008 format files (.xslx). FileMaker Pro 9 and earlier only supported the .xls format.

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6980/kw/problem%20exporting%20to%20Excel
                     The menus used by the import/export dialogs have been modified to remove the following formats:

•                Lotus DIF (.dif )
                •           
                •                Lotus 1–2−3 (.wks)
                •           
                •                Symbolic Link (.sylk)
                •           
                •                Basic (.bas)
                •           
                •                dBase II and III (.dbf)  DBF import and export are now available in FileMaker Pro/Advanced 10.0v3
                •