2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2009 11:51 AM by ChrisG.

Error importing excel file into ESS database

ChrisG.

Title

Error importing excel file into ESS database

Hi,

I'm trying to update a table in an oracle database via FM Pro 10 on a Mac by importing an excel file of data. The import summary dialog box pops up telling me all the records were skipped due to error. FM help says that there should be a "Open Log File" button in this dialog box to examine the log file, but there isn't one (just an OK button). Does FM Pro 10 on a Mac actually log these errors, and if so, where? Any advice on troubleshooting this appreciated.

Chris 

• 1. Re: Error importing excel file into ESS database
          TSGal

Chris G.:

Thank you for your post.

How are you connected to an Oracle Database?  Are you trying to import directly into the Oracle database?  Are you using SQL to import the Excel file?  If the import summary dialog box is saying all records were skipped, then try importing the Excel file into a new table and see if any field values are ignored/skipped.

FileMaker Pro will not do any logging on a failed import.  The only logging that FileMaker Pro performs is with Instant Web Publishing.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Error importing excel file into ESS database
            ChrisG.

Thanks for the response.

I'm using the Actual Technology drivers. Yes, I'm trying to import directly into the database.

I can  import into a new local table fine. I just get errors when I try to import records into the existing tables in the oracle database. I don't have the power to create new tables in the database. The database was set up by our IS department; I'm also trying to work with them to troubleshoot this. If you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Chris