1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 17, 2009 8:58 AM by TSGal

Error Logging

user8294

Title

Error Logging

We have a filemaker database thats grown into a bit of a monster over the past 3 years, it does a great job for us in many respects of running our business

I rely heavily on the users reporting errors and bugs which sometimes slip through on testing, however I quite often see them just clicking ok on error popups without reporting and no understanding of what proceeding at these points can mean

Is there any way (or a plugin) of keeping a log that stores every error event, what the code was, who the user was, what layout they were on and what script they were executing?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Error Logging
          TSGal

fairprint:

Thank you for your post.

You may want to add a table to your solution to capture the error messages.  For your example, I would include fields:

Error

User

Layout

Script

You can then create an error script for this table that accepts a parameter, adds a record, and enter the information.

At different points in your original scripts, you can have:

If [ Get ( LastError ) > 0 ]

Set Variable [ $$errorstring ; <script name > & "¶" & <layout name> & "¶" & Get ( LastError ) & "¶" & Get ( UserName ) ]

Perform Script [ <script that captures error message> ; Parameter: $$errorstring ]

End If

This should get you pointed in the right direction. 

Does anyone know if there is a third-party plug-in?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.