5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2010 3:31 PM by philmodjunk

Error message and unable to print

adobelady

Title

Error message and unable to print

OK, OK - I know you are all going to roll your eyes but here goes - I am really needing this file.  I have Filemaker Pro Version 6.02 updated from V5.  I have used Filemaker for over 10 years, but never to develop, just for my own record keeping.  I only know what I have managed to figure out as I go along and have some files that I have been using (comfortably) for all those years.   I have an extensive contact management file that I built a long time ago and has EVERYTHING in it with about 500 records.  This last couple of weeks I got a message "Filemaker needs your attention!" when I would open Filemaker.  Everything worked ok, but  I looked on the FAQ and could not find any information about WHY FP needed my attention.  Then today I was trying to print a sorted list and it crashes each time I try to print.  I exported the data to open in Excel to get my file printed, BUT, would like to use my FP file.  Since I use such a limited bit of FP features I did not feel the need to update.  If I do update, can I get my files printed?  So far, it is only printing that is not working.

I would so appreciate any advice from all you folks who use this wonderful application regularly.  Remember, I am a limited-use novice. Thank you for any assistance you might give me.

• 1. Re: Error message and unable to print
          philmodjunk

Do you know how to recover a filemaker file? 

1. Launch Filemaker without opening the file.
          2. Select recover from the file menu and select your contact manager file to recover it.
          3. Test your recovered file to see if you can print OK.

If the recovered file works. It's best to replace that file with an undamaged back up instead of trying to use the recovered file if you have such a back up available.

• 2. Re: Error message and unable to print
            adobelady

Hi - I tried to recover.  No Luck.  I have tried a number of functions and it seems that the file is working just great, but will not print without crashing.  I can work on reports, edit, delete, change layouts and sort records, but when I go to print the sorted report it crashes.  Printing seems to be the number one issue.

I am reluctant to spend $300 to upgrade to FMP 10.  Does anyone out there know anything about BENTO?  I keep a 500 person contact database for all sorts of sales and personal record keeping and addresses, labels, letters as well as lists.  It is perfect for me and I have been using it for a long time.  I doubt that Bento has all the abilities to build your data fields and reports like FMP does.   Does anyone have any suggestions to help me fix the printing problem or to move into another database?

Thanks, Adobelady 

• 3. Re: Error message and unable to print
              adobelady

Also,  I do have a back up but it is not current and missing a whole bunch of records and sorting ID changes.   I really do appreciate your help, those of you who know this great program.

Thank you for a reply 

• 4. Re: Error message and unable to print
                Steve Wright
                   Why not simply make a second copy of the backup you have, then import all the records from the damaged file into it ?
                • 5. Re: Error message and unable to print
                  philmodjunk
                     It could just be that a layout is corrupted. Can you print from other layouts in the file without this issue occurring? If so, it may be that you just have to rebuild the layout in question.