5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2014 6:21 PM by supwang

error on edit layout in fm pro 12

supwang

Title

error on edit layout in fm pro 12

Hi, All:

I meet a serious problem today. When I edit the layout (field, portal, text...), all of the operations have become very very slow suddenly!!! (change size of field, move field or text, insert text on layout). I quit the filemaker pro advance 12 and restart the computer, but it's no use.

When I try to insert a text on layout, then delete it. Filemaker will quit auto and give me a error report.

I have upload the database on webspace. http://pan.baidu.com/s/1gr6bk (file), http://pan.baidu.com/s/1sjLKxDb (error report)

Does any one can test and give me a help? Thank you. (I do not want to re-build the file)

• 1. Re: error on edit layout in fm pro 12
          supwang

This button is for download.

• 2. Re: error on edit layout in fm pro 12
            Abhaya

Hi Supwang

I downloaded this file and found the same problem while doing the changes.

The file is  a .fm12 file, So it can be opened in both FMP 12 and FMP 13. But I faced the same problem while opening it in FMP 12. It is working properly in FMP 13.

I think the file is implemented in FMP 13 and it shows error while opening it in FMP 12. So Make sure this file always open with FMP 13, So that It'll work nicely.

Lower version file will be worked  smoothly while it will open in upper version But not the Viceversa is TRUE.

Thanks

Abhaya

• 3. Re: error on edit layout in fm pro 12
              supwang

Thank you for your test and reply. I create the file with FMP 12 and do not have FM13 on my computer.

I found a backup file on my web space, so I can continue to edit it. But I can not fix the last file, it's so bad.crying

• 4. Re: error on edit layout in fm pro 12
                philmodjunk

You might try running a recover on the file as it appears likely that it is damaged.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
                3.           Recover does not detect all problems
                5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
                7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).

• 5. Re: error on edit layout in fm pro 12
                  supwang

Thank you. I try to recovery the old file. It's fine now.