4 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2014 12:12 PM by JamesKnecht

Error on New Record

JamesKnecht

Title

Error on New Record

I feel stupid having to ask this, but I am new to Filemaker.  I have my customer table set up nicely but when I tell it to add a new record, I get errors on my 2 fields that are set up to require a value.  Why am I getting the error before committing the record.  Of course the fields are empty.... it is a new record.

What have I done wrong?

• 1. Re: Error on New Record
          philmodjunk

Sounds like the new record is being committed--which triggers the "required value" validations to kick in.

This could be a step in a script--possibly performed by a script trigger such as OnRecordLoad or you can commit records just by clicking the layout background.

• 2. Re: Error on New Record
            JamesKnecht

Yes, I have a script that runs OnRecordLoad.  It goes to the ledger in a portal to display how old the oldest invoice is.

So what do I do?  This script is obviously not needed on a new record, as there are no ledger entries on new accounts, so is there a better trigger?

• 3. Re: Error on New Record
              philmodjunk

You can keep the OnRecordLoad triggered script from doing anything when you create a new record. The script could, for example, check one of these very same fields and exit without doing anything if the field is empty.

• 4. Re: Error on New Record
                JamesKnecht

Oh, I understand.  I thought you meant the OnRecordLoad trigger caused the issue but I now understand it was a step in the script doing it.  Did as you said & it works perfectly.

Thanks!