9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2014 8:36 AM by philmodjunk

error when inserting picture

arunans

Title

error when inserting picture

hi.. i have tried inserting a picture using a container field and insert picture option. the min i close filemaker and reopen the pictire seems to be missing.. any solutipm to this.. i need to insert a logo that is visible in multiple systems.

• 1. Re: error when inserting picture
          philmodjunk

There are multiple methods for inserting a picture. Which method did you use? Drag and drop? Insert Picture? Insert File? or ???

What storage options have you specified for the container field? Did yo specify external storage?

When you inserted this file, did you select the "store a reference" option ?

• 2. Re: error when inserting picture
            arunans
            i used insert picture in browse mode for the container.storage options are global storage. i didnt use store a referencr option.external storage option s not there
            • 3. Re: error when inserting picture
              arunans
              i used insert picture in browse mode for the container.storage options are global storage. i didnt use store a referencr option.external storage option s not there.
              • 4. Re: error when inserting picture
                arunans
                the min i close filemaker and open again the picture goes away.is this because i have to insert picture everytime?.i thought inserting picture in a container will store the picture always. can u pls clarify since ths s very urgent.
                • 5. Re: error when inserting picture
                  arunans
                  i have found one thing.. the min i say the container to be global storage the image is lost. but i need to put a logo which has to be same for all records.
                  • 6. Re: error when inserting picture
                    philmodjunk

If you are hosting your database from a different computer and connecting to it as a client, this is expected behavior for fields with global storage. Each client get's their own "virtual copy" of data from global fields. When you close the file on the client machine, the global fields revert back to the values they have on the host.

There are a number of ways to work around this limitation. The simplest is to "save" the contents of a global field to a nonglobal field. Then use a script set to run "onfirstWindowOpen" in File Options to copy the file from the nonglobal field into the global field each time that you open the file.

Another option is to take the file down off the server to your computer, open the file and insert the file into the global field. As a single user, you are the "host" and changes to a global field will persist after you close the file. Now put the file back up on the server.

And a server side script such as is now possible in FileMaker 13, can be used to copy the contents of the nonglobal field into the global field and then the change to the global field will persist.

For more on global fields in a networked environment: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3604/kw/global

• 7. Re: error when inserting picture
                      arunans
                      Another option is to take the file down off the server to your computer, open the file and insert the file into the global field. As a single user, you are the "host" and changes to a global field will persist after you close the file. Now put the file back up on the server. Can u pls tell me how to do it.. i am trying to insert the pictire from my local machine only but db s in server.any other i have to do? i insert the picture from my local machine only but when i close db the image vanishes from the container
                      • 8. Re: error when inserting picture
                        arunans

Another option is to take the file down off the server to your computer, open the file and insert the file into the global field. As a single user, you are the "host" and changes to a global field will persist after you close the file. Now put the file back up on the server. 

How do i do this? Please explain

• 9. Re: error when inserting picture
                          philmodjunk

1.           Use the Server Admin console to close the file so that no one can edit/add/delete data in it while you make this adjustment. Copy this file or a recent back up copy across the network to your local computer. You may need to talk to the IT person in charge of your server if you don't know how to do that. Also copy the image file across to your computer unless you can directly access the folder that contains it on the server.
                          3.           Use your copy of FileMaker Pro to open the file.
                          5.           Insert the file into the global field. Do not use the "Store a reference" option.
                          7.           Close the file.
                          9.           Use the admin console to upload this copy of the file back to the server to replace the original copy and open it.

Please note that this is not the only option that I listed.