6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2013 7:27 PM by kbsaunders

Error when opening a database

kbsaunders

Title

Error when opening a database

When I open a database I've created, I get the message seen on the attached screen shot. This errow occurs before any scripts are run. I've used the debugger and no script is running when I get the message.

I regularly back up and a previous version works fine (some time ago) but I can't find any differences between the files. Could the file be corrupted? Is there a way to fix it? Or do I need to go back to the previous version?

I've used the data separation model and that file seems to work OK so I think my data is safe. But I've done a lot of work on the UI file that I don't want to have to recreate.

Any ideas?

Your help would really be appreciated!

Screen_Shot_2013-04-06_at_11.20.24_AM.png

• 1. Re: Error when opening a database
          Jade

You did not mention which version you are using.  If you have FMP Advanced, you can look for any missing script references in the Database Design Report ("Script: <unknown>")

A couple of ideas come to mind:

• Check the File>File Options… and ensure that there is no script trigger set for 'OnFirstWindowOpen".  You may have deleted the linked script.

• Check that you are not calling a script that is stored in your data file before it is opened by the UI file.  You may have forgotten to import a script into the UI file.

• 2. Re: Error when opening a database
            JimMac

You have lost an External file refernence since you said "Separation Model".  My guess is your  "error" version has an External File name change or directory change or even a root directory name change since your saved working version.

Tip: When working with the Separtion model or External Files that share among many DB's.  Keeping them all in the same "folder" is best.

Jim...

• 3. Re: Error when opening a database
              Jade

@Jim,

When an external file name is changed or the file is moved, FMP gives the error message:

'The file "…" could not be opened.  (Not Found)"  

and not the message in the screen shot of the OP.

• 4. Re: Error when opening a database
                JimMac

@Jade  Well.... not if the Referenced File was changed and pointed to again in response to your noted error message.wink I know what I say is true, because it happened to me.  

@Kevin  I am guessing to stimulate thought.... angel

Jim...

• 5. Re: Error when opening a database
                  Jade

@Jim, 

You must be remembering an incident from an older version. wink

• 6. Re: Error when opening a database
                    kbsaunders

Found it! Thanks Jade. You pointed me in the right direction. I searched all the layouts and found a deleted script trigger for one of them. Deleted it - problem solved.