AnsweredAssumed Answered

Estimating variable quantities of a product

Question asked by BobCastles on Aug 25, 2011
Latest reply on Aug 25, 2011 by BobCastles

Title

Estimating variable quantities of a product

I'm setting up an estimating db for a printing operation. On a single estimate, I need to be able to estimate multiple quantities (of the same product and inside the details for each quantity there are calculations based on both static and variable information. For example, the size of the product is obviously the same across all of the quantities, but items like production footage, speed, time, etc. are based off of calulation fields. We could have a 4" x 6" product and the customer would want to see pricing for quantities of 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, 3000, 10,000, etc.

I have the calculations entered and the db more or less working for the first quantity at this point. There are probably 40-50 calculation fields associated with each quantity and I'd like to not have to enter a new field and change all of the reference fields in each equation for each of those items under each of the quantities. Is there a simpler way to do this with some sort of relative calculation setup? I don't know if I'm explaining this very well, but what I'm looking for is some sort of functionality that would be similar to how you can "drag" a function cell in Excel across multiple columns and the relative cell references in the function will move across the columns as you drag the function over. I tried, briefly, to do this with repeating fields, but that didn't seem to work very well and it seems like the general consensus is that they are not an ideal structure to use in general.

Hopfully that makes some sort of sense. If not, please ask quesitons and I'll see if I can explain it more lucidly.

Thanks in advance,

BC

Screen_shot_2011-08-25_at_2.45.47_PM.png

Outcomes