4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2012 12:41 PM by davidanders

Etiquette - Where to place a Runtime

dzittin

Title

Etiquette - Where to place a Runtime

Hi,

My background is mostly Unix so I am not especially knowledgeable about where I should place an FM Pro runtime. I know that system-wide .exe files are placed in the Program Files folder. 

I have done this with my FM runtime during testing. However, the .USR file is going to grow and it will likely grow at a good clip from around 2.7 MB clean to perhaps more than 100 MB after the user adds data.

Two things bother my about placing the runtime in Program Files:

1. It is not a usual place to store an ever growing data file.
      2. It is not usually backed up by users so a disk crash would mean a catastrophic loss of data
      I need some advice from the community. Where should I install my RT? Can I install in Programfiles and do something like a symlink to the USR file and store that in \Documents and Settings\username\application data? How is this normally handled?
      Thanks for the help!
      -D

• 1. Re: Etiquette - Where to place a Runtime
          philmodjunk

I wouldn't put Filemaker runtime folders in the programs folder--even though it contains an exe file. This can result in a USR (data) file that is read only and thus opens with a warning that "this file is not modifiable". As I recall, this is particularly the case with Windows 7 systems.

• 2. Re: Etiquette - Where to place a Runtime
            dzittin

"I wouldn't put Filemaker runtime folders in the programs folder--even though it contains an exe file. This can result in a USR (data) file that is read only and thus opens with a warning that "this file is not modifiable". As I recall, this is particularly the case with Windows 7 systems."

Yes, this is what started the process - an unwritable USR file. The file in the Programs folder can be made modifiable, but only by an administrator which is not going to work for general distribution.

So, anyone with advice on the appropriate path that has at least these conditions:

1. In a folder that is likely to be backed up (it should be mandatory, but that's a warning at install time).
            2. In a folder that can accomodate reasonable file size growth (.USR starting around 3MB and growing to perhaps 200 MB).
            3. No write permissions issues.
            At present, for XP, I have settled on "C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Application Data" and a similar, but slightly different path for Vista & W7. Does this sound reasonable? 
            Advice/comments appreciated...
            Thanks,
            -D
            • 3. Re: Etiquette - Where to place a Runtime
              schamblee

I put my runtime in a folder simialar to the name of my program.  For example C:\MyProgram\myprogram.exe.  This is the easies method I have found. Vista and above has created more of a network problem but it is a matter of setting up users and giving them rights to the path.  The common place for programs is programs files.   I have seen many standalone programs use the Documents path to store data but this can lead to problems over a network more so than program files.   Common network setup is C:\Program Files\MyProgram\ or C:\MyProgram\  then a drive letter being mapped to this path. 

I'm new to the filemaker world but have several years experiences with Visual FoxPro and Windows.   I hope this is helpful.   

• 4. Re: Etiquette - Where to place a Runtime
                davidanders

I am interested in distributing Runtimes, have done some searches and these may be useful to you.
                I have installed on the desktop, installed in My Documents, a FMP folder in My Documents, on a USB flash drive.
                Never would have considered the Programs Folder...
                http://portableapps.com  may have advice on the question, have not looked at all of their help.

From  http://www.filemaker.com/support/product/docs/12/fmpa/fmpa12_development.pdf
                Distributing runtime solutions
                  The final steps in developing your runtime database solution are to bundle all of the necessary files together, choose how you will distribute your solution—for example, on a CD-ROM or over a network—and provide your users with documentation for installing your solution. In addition, your documentation should include instructions for starting the runtime application and what to do if a file is damaged.
                  Note Windows: The proper method for distributing Runtime solutions (including the executable) is to use Installer software. This software must install components in the proper location in the Windows filesystem and provide an uninstall capability. See the Microsoft website for information about the location of installed files as well as location restrictions.

Stored registry settings or preferences

Windows registry settings
                FileMaker Pro stores its registry settings at
                HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro\12.0
                FileMaker Pro Advanced stores its registry settings at
                HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro\12.0A
                The runtime application stores its registry settings at
                HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FileMaker\<solution name>\12.0
                Note The filename extension for the runtime database files is registered at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

http://campsoftware.com/2010/12/filemaker-runtime-installer-for-windows/
                FileMaker Runtime Installer For Windows
                Using Inno Setup for Windows   http://www.jrsoftware.org/isdl.php

Another Installer for Windows
                http://www.advancedinstaller.com/

http://www.filemaker.com/11help/html/fmpa_tools.24.16.html
                Home
                > Using FileMaker Pro Advanced > Using FileMaker Pro Advanced tools > About creating runtime solutions (FileMaker Pro Advanced) > Distributing runtime solutions (FileMaker Pro Advanced)

Distributing runtime solutions (FileMaker Pro Advanced)
                  The final steps in developing your runtime database solution are to bundle all of the necessary files together, choose how you will distribute your solution—for example, on a CD-ROM or over a network—and provide your users with documentation for installing your solution. In addition, your documentation should include instructions for starting the runtime application and what to do if a file is damaged.

Consider the following before you distribute your solution:
                 •
                Organize your solution components.
                Important  Do not rename the files and folders that Developer Utilities generates.
                 •
                Choose a distribution method.
                 •
                Choose to use either a custom installation program or a compression utility program.
                 •
                For software distributions such as internet or network downloads, ensure you have a master password to enable or change network access to the files.
                 •
                For software distributions, consider reducing the size of your solution files. Deleting dictionaries and language resource files for languages not supported by your database will reduce the size of the application. See below.
                Important  Windows: The proper method for distributing Runtime solutions (including the executable) is to use Installer software. This software must install components in the proper location in the Windows filesystem and provide an uninstall capability. See the Microsoft web site for information about the location of installed files as well as location restrictions. Note that Windows Vista imposes specific restrictions, requiring some runtime components—for example Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)—be located in a location in which only an Installer can write.
                 •
                Include the same minimum equipment and software required by the FileMaker Pro Advanced application. See the Installation Guide for FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro Advanced, available at www.filemaker.com/documentation.

To reduce the size of your solution in Windows:
                Open the Extensions folder that is copied to the runtime solution folder.
                Delete language resource folders for languages not supported by your solution.
                Important  Do not delete the language resource folder for English.
                Open the Dictionaries folder.
                Delete dictionaries for languages not supported by your solution.
                To reduce the size of your solution in Mac OS X:
                Open the Extensions folder that is copied to the runtime solution folder.
                Open the Dictionaries folder.
                Delete dictionaries for languages not supported by your solution.
                Control-click the runtime application package and choose Show Package Contents.
                Locate the Resources folder in the Contents folder.
                Delete language resource folders (*.lproj) for languages not supported by your solution.
                Note  FileMaker Pro Advanced may not be available in all of the shipping languages of FileMaker Pro.

http://www.filemaker.com/11help/html/fmpa_tools.24.12.html
                Home
                > Using FileMaker Pro Advanced > Using FileMaker Pro Advanced tools > About creating runtime solutions (FileMaker Pro Advanced)

About creating runtime solutions (FileMaker Pro Advanced)

With FileMaker Pro Advanced, you can bind FileMaker database files into runtime solutions, which are solutions that do not require FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Pro Advanced in order to be used on a computer. You can also create runtime solutions in Kiosk mode.
                  Before you begin to build your database solution, you need to decide how users will interact with it. Your database solution might have any of the following components:
                 •
                a primary database file that connects all of the auxiliary files
                 •
                scripts and buttons to open and close auxiliary files, return to the primary file, display a splash screen layout at startup, or quit a runtime application
                 •
                common elements and a consistent appearance for cross-platform solutions
                 •
                tooltips and custom menus
                 •
                a custom layout theme used for every file in the solution
                 •
                an About layout to introduce your solution
                 •
                a custom Help system that provides usage tips for your solution
                 •
                multiple privilege sets that can specify levels of access to layouts, menus, specific tables, record, fields, and so on
                 •
                password-protected accounts assigned to privilege sets that determine the level of access of account users
                Note

FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro Advanced now allow you to include as many database tables as you need in a database file. This capability eliminates one of the main reasons for using multiple files. However, other elements, like scripts and access privileges, are stored at the file level and so some complex solutions will still benefit from using multiple files.
                  FileMaker Pro Advanced features are stripped from runtime applications. None of the commands on the File menu > Manage submenu are available in the runtime application. Runtime applications cannot be shared over a network and do not include the ability to Save/Send Records as Adobe PDF files. ODBC import, the Execute SQL script step, and using ODBC data sources in the relationships graph are not supported in runtime application. For a feature comparison of the runtime application with FileMaker Pro, see the FileMaker Pro Advanced Development Guide at www.filemaker.com/documentation.
                  A runtime database can, however, be opened in either FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Pro Advanced. The full functionality of these applications will be enabled, except if full access privileges have been removed. See Removing Admin access to databases (FileMaker Pro Advanced).
                  You may need to bind your database files several times before you prepare them for delivery to your users. When you have completed development and the final version is bound and ready to distribute, you should thoroughly test your runtime solution to ensure that it behaves as expected. See Preparing files for a runtime solution (FileMaker Pro Advanced).
                Notes
                 •
                If desired, create a custom theme for all the layouts in your database solution. See Creating custom layout themes (FileMaker Pro Advanced) for information.
                 •
                If you’re creating a solution that will have versions for Windows and the Mac OS, test the different versions of the solution on their respective platforms. For more information, see Troubleshooting layouts designed for both Windows and Mac OS.
                 •
                If you have used multiple files instead of multiple tables in a single file, all files for your solution should be in the same folder before being bound into a runtime solution. If it is not practical to keep all files in one folder, be sure to include a data source reference to each file that is just the filename.
                 •
                Make sure to specify every file that’s related to the database solution, so that if you modify filenames all data sources will be updated.
                 •
                If you have used multiple database files, decide which file will be the primary file that users open first. The primary file stores the custom settings. Use this file for navigation buttons or scripts to other auxiliary files, an About layout, a custom Help layout or file, and to quit the application. See Starting runtime solutions (FileMaker Pro Advanced).
                 •
                Create scripts and buttons for users to navigate from the primary file to auxiliary files and layouts in the solution. See Using scripts and buttons to control Kiosk solutions (FileMaker Pro Advanced).
                 •
                Charts are not supported in runtime solutions.
                 •
                Create documentation about your database solution. See Documenting developer solutions (FileMaker Pro Advanced).
                 •
                Although the Developer Utilities use a copy of a file instead of the original, it’s always a good idea to make a backup copy of your original files before beginning.
                FileMaker Pro Advanced may not be available in all of the shipping languages of FileMaker Pro.