3 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2014 7:56 AM by bokenrosie

Evaluate Three Yes/No Boxes to return Value

bokenrosie

Title

Evaluate Three Yes/No Boxes to return Value

I have three fields that have auto entry values of "No".

I have a fourth field that I am using to provide a visual indication that the user has made changed the previous to "Yes" to indicate that they have taken some steps to check their work.

I tried using an If statement:

If ( PostCheck_Pub on Admin="No"  or PostCheck_Rename Campaign="No" or PostCheck_Remove DraftSample ; "No" ; "Yes" )

It is not working as I think it should work - Surely I'm to blame.

What I am looking for is to make ReadyToPost only show Yes when those three values are Yes.

Thanks for the guidance.

• 1. Re: Evaluate Three Yes/No Boxes to return Value
          philmodjunk

If this field should show "yes" only when the other three fields are all set to "yes", you need to use AND rather than OR in your calculation:

If ( PostCheck_Pub on Admin="No"  AND PostCheck_Rename Campaign="No" AND PostCheck_Remove DraftSample = "Yes" ; "No" ; "Yes" )

Parts that are different from your posted version are in red.

• 2. Re: Evaluate Three Yes/No Boxes to return Value
            WBSimon

Another way would be to use Boolean expressions. 1 for yes, 0 for no. Set your 4th field as the sum of the first 3 fields. Then you would be able to tell 1) if there is a yes and 2) how many yes's there are. I have been using FileMaker for 15+ years and I just started using Boolean 6 months ago. I wish I had started using them long time ago.

• 3. Re: Evaluate Three Yes/No Boxes to return Value
              bokenrosie

Did not work right away but you gave me enough to understand why.  Changed it to:

If ( PostCheck_Pub on Admin="Yes"  and PostCheck_Rename Campaign="Yes" and PostCheck_Remove DraftSample = "Yes" ; "Yes" ; "No" ) 

Now it works like a charm.  Did not realize I should be evaluating for yes instead.  Thank for your help.