3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2012 10:55 AM by SydneyE

Evaluating Filemaker Pro for my needs

gadgegal

Title

Evaluating Filemaker Pro for my needs

This is a pretty open question, but hoping for some general advice.  I am a national sales manager currently monitoring sales leads from hundreds of sales reps across the country.  Currently my process is to download the opportunities out of our CRM tool into an excel spreadsheet and manually adjust the informtion for just what I need.  It is a slow process, obviously with many repetetive steps.  Each opportunity has a unique ID associated with it along with sales rep, location, sales volume potential and numerous other factors.  From this I generate an overall sales pipeline.  I have absolutely no experience with a database program, thus my use of excel.  I keep going back to the Filemaker website and try and make the decision whether to start using Filemaker for this.  It seems, fairly friendly, but obviously will be a steep learning curve for me.  I plan on taking some of the online coursed to assist.  My company is a windows based company and none of my colleagues have Filemaker, however I could readily convey the information back to an Excel format.  My question is this:  From the perspective of those that use this program, will this be a good use of my time to learn the program.  In other words, once I get things set up properly, and learn the program, is it your opinion that I will save time over currently using Excel as my database management? Thanks ahead, and hope this is not too general a question for response.

• 1. Re: Evaluating Filemaker Pro for my needs
          philmodjunk

It sounds like something that is fully possible for FileMaker to do, but can YOU do it with FileMaker? That's not a question we can answer for you, but you can download a 30 day free trial copy of the product and see if you can get it to work for you. You can easily export data from Filemaker to Excel and you can also use a number of other formats such as generating a PDF of the data you want to send to coworkers.

• 2. Re: Evaluating Filemaker Pro for my needs
            EricKornmeyer

In the end you will definitely be able to save time using FileMaker. Thinking ahead, you would be able to set up automated scripts that can process your data and output just what you need so you don't have to do it each time in excel. Yeah just grab the trial and dive in!

• 3. Re: Evaluating Filemaker Pro for my needs
              SydneyE

I just downloaded trial on 8/23 and started with the included sample Tutorial... finished that this mornig (total about 5-6 hrs)

Tutorial gives a great general feel... seems worthwhile although for our use we have to overcome our tech-illiterate end-users and old-ways ...any change is a challenge, but taking time to learn this simple database software is a +