3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2013 7:42 AM by philmodjunk

Evaluating how often a string is used in one specific field of all records

peeter

Title

Evaluating how often a string is used in one specific field of all records

This should be a common problem but I got stuck on it:

We have some 50 people doing voluntary work. On a weekly basis we set up an activity plan in form of one data record per week.  In order to distribute the hours served in a fair way it would help to see how many days/hours each of us has already served. Basis would be all weekly records up to the week ending last Sunday i.e. all records on file.

Table1 "persons" = contains all personal data

Table 2 "activity plan" = Here you can choose from with a pull down from the "persons". The selected persons Name is then entered in the "activity plan" no dynamic link but "frozen".

Now I would like to have in one of these tables or in a third table an evaluation of how often each person was already on duty. Criterion is therefore the respective last name

The statistics fields offer little help, as these fields do not distinguish based on field content like the names. Besides - they only refer to a given table and not to a related table.

Using a formula I also do not see any possibility,  because I cannot find something like Excel's "Count If" .

Has anyone a hint on this?