4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2011 6:03 AM by as2njohn

Event cross-reference

symbister

Title

Event cross-reference

OK, so fairly new to FMP, on Mac with FMP 8.5..

I have a database of contacts and we frequently invite them to certain events, and I'd like to include in their record whether they were invited, whether they RSVP'd and whether they attended. (controlled as checkboxes or radio buttons)

Thing is, there could be 150 contacts invited to Event A, or some of those, plus others could be invited to Event B...yet another different or overlapping subset to Event C, etc.

I realise that I need a related table of Events, but how do i link them..? via a sub-table?

The operator should be able to select the contacts to be invited to Event A by finding the records in the normal way, then these ID's are exported to a sub-table(script, I'm guessing), linking them to that event, then when the contact responds, a portal(?) on their record lists the event and their response. Is this possible?

any help appreciated

thanks

• 1. Re: Event cross-reference
          philmodjunk

Your questions seem to indicate that you're on the right track here. You do need a third table; They'd be related like this:

Contacts>------Contact_Event------<Events

The key fields would match up like this:

Contacts::ContactID = Contact_Event::ContactID

Events::EventID = Contact_Event::EventID

You can place a portal to Contact_Event on your contacts layout and include fields from Events in the portal to show event details. This portal will list all events for the current contact.

You can place a portal to Contact_Event on your Events layout and include fields from contacts to show names and other details. This portal will list all contacts invited to that event.

You can place one or more additional fields in Contact_Event to show the contact's status (invited, Rsvp, attended, etc.)

• 2. Re: Event cross-reference
            symbister

Thanks Phil

worked a treat - and once I'd figured out that you have to commit after settting a field, the export script worked as well.

Cheers

Richard

• 3. Re: Event cross-reference
              philmodjunk

Glad it worked, but I don't quite follow why you need an export script for this. The two portals should be able to do all the work during basic data entry and then you can simply run a report based on the join table to list all the contacts for a given event. or all the events for a given contact.

• 4. Re: Event cross-reference
                as2njohn

hi

i had a similar problem to event  registration... how can i import 300 contacts in portal to the specific events only.

pls help.