8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2013 8:41 AM by philmodjunk

exact same file - behaves very differently on PC and Mac

symbister

Title

exact same file - behaves very differently on PC and Mac

We sell artworks for a fundraising event once a year, and I've prepared a sales form, with a portal to line-items to select an artwork that is still available, using a dwindling value list.

On Windows 7, all well and good, the user selects the artwork, the form displays the artist, the price and the image, the user then enters the amount being paid and the invoice displays the amount outstanding.

On Mac OS 10.6.8, the user selects the artwork, the form displays the artist, price and image but as soon as they enter an amount being paid, the artwork title field randomly selects another artwork. There are script triggers in the amount fields but all they do is 'commit records' to display the accurate amount outsanding.

screen shot of relationships and invoice layout -  any help as usual most appreciated

Screen_shot_2013-04-10_at_9.52.45_AM.png

• 1. Re: exact same file - behaves very differently on PC and Mac
          Fred(CH)

Hi Symbister,

Did you double checked that all yours pk... fields are unique defined and that yours fk... fields are not, on the Validation's tab of Field's Options ?

At the same time, you can verify if, in theses same Fields Options, have you maybe defined a Calculated value in Auto-Enter tab. That would clearly justify this bug.

Out of subject, but anyways : why is the relationship to picacontax not based on its ContactID ? *

Bye, Fred

PS : * If the contact's name is John Smith, for instance, or other very popular name, or if you only know its surname, i can predict that a little problem will occurs... wink

• 2. Re: exact same file - behaves very differently on PC and Mac
            symbister

Hi Fred - thanks for your comments

confirming that pk's are unique, fk's are not... and no calculated values are defined for any match fields - and why would the same file behave differently on different platform?

re: matching to names... good question; primary reason being that the invoice is being raised in a buyer's name - I could have linked by unique ID, but we don't use numbers to identify buyers (very small group) amongst contacts (quite large group) - and invoice form allows for the user to 'over-ride' the link if they know it's not the 'right' John Smith.

• 3. Re: exact same file - behaves very differently on PC and Mac
              philmodjunk

You still would be better off not using names in your relationship though it's not the source of your trouble here. There are ways to work with names yet link by IDs.

I assume the the two fields shown at bottom right in your screen shot are a close of of the same two in your portal?

From what table occurrence does ::Artwork_Title reference?

And this is the field that is showing a random title after selecting an artwork ID from the Line_Items::fkArtworkID field?

If so, does the ID also change when the random title appears or does it still show the correct ID number?

• 4. Re: exact same file - behaves very differently on PC and Mac
                symbister

thanks Phil, I was hoping you'd chime in.. (no offence to Fred!)

re: name-linking, will revisit when I have more time..

yes, two fields are same as in portal ; ::Artworks_Title comes from Artworks TO

both fkArtworkID and Artwork_Title change randomly to the same artwork (Value list for line_items::fkArtworkID is Artworks::pkArtworkID and Artworks::Artwork_Title, second field only, related from Unsolds only)

• 5. Re: exact same file - behaves very differently on PC and Mac
                  JimMac

From a Mac user...

Check you Field box sizes in Windows... 

Normally the only differences Mac/Win are Font handling and Mac's character sizes are smaller spacing, so it may be showing the second fk also.

Jim...

PS: Wild guess

• 6. Re: exact same file - behaves very differently on PC and Mac
                    philmodjunk

The "same as"?

Are they the actual fields in a manipulated screen shot or the same fields but located outside the portal on your layout?

Othere than what Jim has mentioned, I can't think of any reason why you'd get a mac vs. windows difference here so maybe it's not a mac vs. windows issue but has another, as yet undiscovered cause that you just haven't yet "tripped" on the Mac systems.

• 7. Re: exact same file - behaves very differently on PC and Mac
                      symbister

OK thanks both of you - found it - in my testing process, I had created a number of invoice records, then deleted them, but hadn't deleted the line-items records attached to them, so now i have selected the 'Delete related records...' check box in the relationship, simple really but didn't manifest itself immediately.

• 8. Re: exact same file - behaves very differently on PC and Mac
                        philmodjunk

Been there, chased that particular red herring myself. It's very easy to assume that the most recent change to your system is the cause of the most recently observed problem, but while a good guess, it isn't necissarily the case.

Sometimes we have to step back and take a wider view of the issue and sometimes it takes kicking the idea around with someone else before we see the light and can fix it.