8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2013 8:56 AM by tifmulally

Excel Import Issue

tifmulally

Title

Excel Import Issue

Hello.

I am attempting to import an excel spreadsheet into FM.

The database I am importing into is for college student course information. The fields are First Name/ Last Name (which is found via student id and filed from a different table), student id, course id, etc. 

The spreadsheet contains all of the information from those fields except the name fields. I had made a few copies of the database in case I screwed things up which I did. 

My question is when I imported the sheet into the database, on one of the copy database files, ALL of the fields are populated- ie: the database will automatically populate the name fields but in the main non-copy database, the name fields are blank. All import setting are the same:

Update matching fields (based in student ID and CourseID) and don't import first record (this is simply the heading row). Any thoughts on what might be causeing this error? I don't see any other differences between the two databases. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Excel Import Issue
          philmodjunk

I can't quite picture what you have: "copy database", "Non-copy database"? "The spreadsheet contains all of the information from those fields except the name fields.

That seems to describe 3 different files here and I'm a bit confused about what you are describing since importing from Excel to FileMaker only requires 2 files.

• 2. Re: Excel Import Issue
            tifmulally

Sorry for the confusion. What I meant by copy/non-copy is I have one main database I am working with: Contacts. I backed up this file to test the importing (those are the copies of the Original Databse) in case I did something wrong. When I imported to the backup copies, the names imported. When I attempted on my main file, the names were blank. So there are only 2 files: roster.xlsx and Contact.fmp12. 

• 3. Re: Excel Import Issue
              philmodjunk

"The spreadsheet contains all of the information from those fields except the name fields."

And roster.xlsx does not contain the names?

• 4. Re: Excel Import Issue
                tifmulally

It does contain the name fields but I don't include them in the import because the fields they would fill are locked because that information is taken from another table.

Those fields are set up to be Contacts::First Name and Contacts::Last Name which are pulled based on the student ID.

• 5. Re: Excel Import Issue
                  philmodjunk

Each of your responses reveals a few more details but my understanding of your database design and exactly what you did during your imports remains far from complete.

Those fields are set up to be Contacts::First Name and Contacts::Last Name which are pulled based on the student ID.

Indicates that you have more than one FileMaker table involved in this process. Please upload a screen shot of Manage | Database | Relationshps cropped to just the tables/relationships involved and please Identify the specific table (occurrence) into which you are importing your data.

• 6. Re: Excel Import Issue
                    tifmulally

Here is the screen shot. The spreadsheet is being imported into the Student_course. The WIN number is the student ID.

• 7. Re: Excel Import Issue
                      philmodjunk

Then if you are importing into student_course and after the impoirt, the names no longer appear on a layout based on Student_Course, it would suggest that when you match fields, some option you selected changed/cleared data in either the WIN or Concentration fields.

BTW, having a relationship between contacts and Student_Course that matches by both concentraion and WIN doesn't really make sense to me. Wouldn't the records match correctly if they only matched by WIN?

• 8. Re: Excel Import Issue
                        tifmulally

I chose both because there is a portal that is based on concentration. Not sure if it was necessary or not but it seemed to work so I kept it. I found the conflict in my import. Thank you so much.