5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2009 3:28 PM by chris_

Exchange rate

chris_

Title

Exchange rate

Hi,

I'm new to creating databases and I need some help.

I'm trying to create an exchange rate database. Basically it will convert U.S. dollars to Canadian. It will be an invoice where I will put the daily exchange rate in a field and have it convert the U.S. amount.

So basically I set up a database where I put the exchange rate in a container and I have one field when I input the U.S. dollar amount and I have another field next to it that's a calculation that multiplies the container by the U.S. amount and gives me a total.

The problem I have is that when I change the exchange rate, all the previous records change. How can I make it so that the previous records don't change when I change the number in the container.

I hope I explained it well. Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

• 1. Re: Exchange rate
          comment_1
             Put the exchange rate into a global field (if you are a single user) or into a one-record preferences table. In the Invoices table, define the Rate field to auto-enter or lookup the current  exchange rate.
          • 2. Re: Exchange rate
            philmodjunk

Set it up so that this value is copied from your field into a different field referenced by the calculation each time you create a new record. We use this method on invoices so that price changes don't modify pre-existing invoices.

We use the auto-enter lookup field option to do this. An auto-enter by calculation option might also work for you.

• 3. Re: Exchange rate
              chris_
                 Thank you for your answers. Sorry to sound really dumb, but how would I go about doing what you're suggesting.
              • 4. Re: Exchange rate
                philmodjunk

Select File | Manage | Database | Fields

Select your table and add a number field for the record's exchange rate.

Double click this new field to bring up its field options.

In the dialog that pops up is a tab labeled Auto-Enter

You'll find you can specify a lookup, (requires a relationship linking two table occurrences)

or a calculation.

You may want to read up on these features in the help file.

• 5. Re: Exchange rate
                  chris_
                     Thank you kindly