AnsweredAssumed Answered

Expandable Fields in Reports

Question asked by AppioC.Hunter on Dec 16, 2010
Latest reply on Dec 17, 2010 by AppioC.Hunter

Title

Expandable Fields in Reports

I'm trying to create a report where data from a single field may need to be printed on multiple pages.  In Microsoft Access, I can set the field properties in a report to expand or contract the field depending on the amount of text I have, and I can also have a single field "spill over" and print onto multiple pages if necessary - again depending on the amount of text I have in that field.

How can I do the same thing in FMP?  If I use a merge field in a text object, the text object won't auto-resize and print all of the text in the merge field.  The text gets clipped, and the only solution I can find in the HELP index is to resize the text object.  If I resize a text object so I can print ALL of the data in a merge field from a single record, I end up with 2 or 3 pages blank pages in my report.  My problem is that I'm using a Mac and I want to remain in a native Mac environment.  I don't want to install Parallels in order to run MS Access, but I'm reaching point of exasperation with FMP because the "auto-resize" function only works if I expand or contract a window.  I need help!

Outcomes