1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 12, 2014 6:21 AM by philmodjunk

Expanding text boxes for printing

appt

Title

Expanding text boxes for printing

I may be missing something obvious here but here goes.

Client has a form that has a text box. Sometimes they put very little in the text box, other times quite a lot.

The text box on the form has a vertical slider so they can add as much text as they like.

However, I then have a printable version of the form which is where the problems begin.

I can create the form so that everything slides up if there is very little text in the box (if I need that functionality) but I can find no way to to do the opposite.

If I set a field either as a non-browsable text field or as a merge field I still have the same issue, if they have written a lot and the box size is not big enough they lose text when printing.

Obviously I could make the boxes huge, but that is not a very elegant solution and besides, how huge is huge enough?!

So did I miss a setting and if not how do other cope with this issue?

Cheers

• 1. Re: Expanding text boxes for printing
          philmodjunk

You haven't missed anything. Your best bet is to set up your layout with very large fields that then use sliding to shrink down to fit.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1.           It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
          3.           Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
          5.           All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
          7.           Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
          9.           Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
          11.           Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
          13.           Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
          15.           In FMP13, hidden objects (”Hide object when”) will slide/resize.