5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2011 7:20 PM by Columbo1

Explanation of TABS and how to create them?

Columbo1

Title

Explanation of TABS and how to create them?

I just purchased Filemaker Pro 11 Advanced and looked quickly through the Tutorial but I need a better understanding of TABS, how they work, and how to create them.

I am doing a simple test database and would like the data to be divided between 2 tabs. A summary of sorts would be displayed in the first tab and detailed information would be displayed in the second tab.  I'm am not clear on how to do this.  I have set up all of the fields for the summary information and entered some of the summary data but I need to know if the info that will be displayed in the second tab is part of this field set or if they are in a related database or what?

Is there a tutorial somehere that clearly explains tabs and how to create them?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Explanation of TABS and how to create them?
          philmodjunk

I think you'll find that you need to learn more about tables and how to relate data in one table to another first.

Such "summary data" sounds like something where you may need to use relationships and possibly a portal to pull together the data you want to see in the summary.

Tabs work best when you have a form view layout and you are dealing with a single record. Data from multiple records can be displayed in a portal and the relationship that makes the portal possible can also be used in calculations or with summary fields to produce summary values from the related records that are displayed in the portal.

• 2. Re: Explanation of TABS and how to create them?
            Columbo1

Maybe term 'summary' might not be the best description of what I am trying to do.  I believe the "summary" and the detailed information can be included all in the same record.  Perhaps a better description of what I an trying to do might help explain what I am trying to do.

I am creating a database about dinosaurs.  If you go to my website: http://www.prehistoriclife.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11   and select one of the animals you will see a page with a grey box on the left giving some info on that particular animal.  On the right is the details on that animal.

In my FM database I want to show the info in the grey box on the left in the first tab and the details on the right side in the second tab.

I am not sure how to do this in FM. 

Is there some kind of a detailed tutorial available on tabs that I can show me how to do this?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Explanation of TABS and how to create them?
              philmodjunk

I don't know of a tutorial specific for setting up a tab control but what you describe seems pretty simple to do in Filemaker.

A) Define a field for each item of data you need for your record.

B) go to the layout where you want your tab control to be

C) Enter layout mode, select the tab control tool at the top of the page and draw a rectangle where you want to place your tab control

D) Use the tab control set up dialog to add each individual tab that you want. Enter a name for each (can be blank) and click Create to add the tab to the control. You can use the other parts of this dialog to control the appearance of these tabs and which tab you want displayed as the visible tab when you first access the record and layout.

E) Now click OK to dismiss the tab control setup... and use the layout tools to add fields and text directly to the tabs. You can select different tabs while in layout mode just like you do in browse mode so you can select the tab, then drag items on to it.

F) any object will be "owned" by a specific tab if it's boundaries are fully inside the tab control's boundaries.

G) Make sure that the tabl control is located fully inside the body of the layout part. If it touches or crosses the line between the header and the body, it will not display correctly when in browse mode.

• 4. Re: Explanation of TABS and how to create them?
                Columbo1

Thank you VERY much.  Sounds quite easy.  I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Very much appreciated.

• 5. Re: Explanation of TABS and how to create them?
                  Columbo1

That worked great.  Thanks again for the help.