6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2009 3:42 AM by lossnitzer

Export a report into an exel file

lossnitzer

Title

Export a report into an exel file

Hey,

I have created a layout to search my database and would like to export those reports into an exel sheet, which works only partly. Unfortunately only 2/3 of the fields get exported and I don't know why. Is there a maximum number of fields or some requirements for the export that I have to fullfill?

Thanks a lot in advance

Dirk

• 1. Re: Export a report into an exel file
          TSGal

diloss:

Thank you for your post.

Pull down the File menu and select "Export Records...".

Enter a file name, select where you want the file to be saved, and select "Excel" as the file type.  If you are using FileMaker Pro 10, then select the appropriate Excel file type.  Click Save.

In the next dialog box, make sure the checkbox is checked for "Use field names as column names in the first row".  All other entries are optional.  Click Continue...

The next dialog box gives you the ability to select the fields you want to export.  If unsure, click "Move All" in the center of the dialog box, and all fields will be moved to the right side under "Field export order".  Move the fields around by click-dragging the arrows on the left side of the field.  Once finished, click Export.

Let me know if this still doesn't export all of the fields.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Export a report into an exel file
            lossnitzer

Thank you very much for your help. You described exactly what I did. However it seems that there is a limitation regarding the number of fields. Therefore I had to divide my search layout into three parts to export them.

Is there anything which I did wrong???

Thanks

Dirk

• 3. Re: Export a report into an exel file
              TSGal

diloss:

Microsoft Excel has a limit of 256 columns/fields, so if you have more than 256 fields, then you will need to export to multiple files.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Export a report into an exel file
                lossnitzer

Thank you very much once again. That is true but I am trying to export about 150 items. Not more than that. Is there a limitation due to the length of the field name or similar.

Thanks Dirk

• 5. Re: Export a report into an exel file
                  TSGal

diloss:

Thanks for the additional information.

I just created a new database file.  The first (text) field I created was entitled "Very Long Field With A Lot Of Information".  I then duplicated it, so the second field was entitled "Very Long Field With A Lot Of Information Copy1".  I duplicated another 198 times, so I had 200 fields with very long names.

I entered some data in the first record, and duplicated it 19 times for a total of 20 records.

I then exported to an Excel file and opened that file with Excel.  All 200 fields came across.

I would like to duplicate your problem  Would it be okay for you to send in the database file so I can try it?  I have sent you a private message (top of this screen - right side - just below the blue bar - X Messages) with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Export a report into an exel file
                    lossnitzer

once again thank you very much for your effort. However due to the fact that this database contains medical files of real patients I can't send them to you. Nevertheless I found out that some data is tipped as 1,3 and some as 1.3 which might be a problem.

Thanks Dirk