4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2009 12:25 AM by BobSchwenkler

Export as PDF and reimport to FM- Image degradation

BobSchwenkler

Title

Export as PDF and reimport to FM- Image degradation

I'm working on a script that is exporting PDFs from multiple layouts and reimporting them all, and then sorting the disparate layout types in a order that we can print booklets off from.

When I export as PDFs and then reimport them the image quality suffers significantly. Is there any workaround for this problem? 

• 1. Re: Export as PDF and reimport to FM- Image degradation
          TSGal

Bob Schwenkler:

Thank you for your post.

Are you importing the PDF files into Container fields?  Are they being embedded or stored as reference?

Can you be a little more descriptive how the "image quality suffers significantly"? 

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Export as PDF and reimport to FM- Image degradation
            BobSchwenkler

The files I'm dealing with are full page PDFs exported from Filemaker. They include text and color images. Upon original export they look great, exactly as they appear in preview mode. When I re-import there is a quite noticeable loss in sharpness. It looks, perhaps, like the PDF has gone through a whole other step of low quality jpeg conversion.

I've tried imbedding as well as referencing the files externally. This happens whether I import using a script step or manually by right clicking the container field and inserting it. Below are examples of an original and a re-import, respectively.

Original ExportRe-import 

• 3. Re: Export as PDF and reimport to FM- Image degradation
              gregl

When you re-export the contents of the container to another PDF file, do the images in that PDF file display normally?  What I'm getting at is whether what you're seeing is limited to how FileMaker Pro displays the PDF onscreen in a layout window, or if the image in the PDF itself has been resampled.

Is there a difference if you import the PDF file as a Quicktime movie, as a picture file, or as a generic file reference?

(All this assuming you are on Mac OS X, since I don't think you can view the PDF in container fields in FileMaker Pro on Windows). 

• 4. Re: Export as PDF and reimport to FM- Image degradation
                BobSchwenkler

The image quality after re-exporting is identical to how it is when viewing the imported image in Filemaker.

There's no difference when I import as a Quicktime or picture file. A generic file reference doesn't seem to be importing the same way and doesn't show me the image, just an icon and the file name.

So I just discovered the issue. I'm using the Import Records script step and having it import as picture/movie files. This is what is causing the issues. This script step makes it easy since it allows me to choose a whole folder to import.

It looks like I need to use the Insert Picture step, which only allows selection of one file at a time. Is there any easy workaround for importing a whole folder?

A workaround I can think of off the top of my head is to store the filenames or the records originally being exported into a field and then use the data from this field insert it as a variable into the file name for the Import Image step?