2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2009 8:47 AM by ITDept

Export date to Excel, copy the date and paste and year increments by four?

ITDept

Title

Export date to Excel, copy the date and paste and year increments by four?

I'm not sure if this an Excel problem or a FileMaker problem or some combination of the two.

I need to export some data from FileMaker to an Excel spreadsheet. The data contain a date field. When I export the records and the result opens in Excel, I see the correct date (e.g., 2009-03-18). If I copy and paste that cell into another Excel spreadsheet, however, the date advances four years; using the example above it becomes 2013-03-18! If I change the cell formatting in the original spreadsheet from Custom (which is how Excel tells me the data are formatted) to General, I get 39890. According to my understanding of how Excel stores dates, that number represents 2013-03-18--yet the spreadsheet originally shows the 2009 date!

I've tried Googling for support for this problem and have been unsuccessful and hoped someone here might have some insight as to why this is happening and how to work around it. I'd rather not have to export the data in, e.g., tab-delimited format if possible for the end-users' sake.

Thank you in advance for any advice or suggestions! 

--David O'Donnell, I.T. director, Designing Solutions