3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2011 1:46 PM by Sorbsbuster

export Excel with formulas

jungovox

Title

export Excel with formulas

Hi all,

Wonderful if anyone has ever done an excel export or save as that included fields with excel formulas

I create text fields with simple excel formulas in filemaker BUT

=G4*H4

but they open up in excel as literal text and can't be 'formated' as an actual forumla in Excel ..

• 1. Re: export Excel with formulas
          Sorbsbuster

I had some success with exporting the fields as text and on importing them to Excel I made the field de-limiter the ' " ' that normally specifies to Excel that it is to be treated as text.  I successfully imported two records whose single-field contents were

=B2*C2

=C3*G3

Excel then saw both as calculations.

• 2. Re: export Excel with formulas
            jungovox

thanks Sorbsbuster,

but I really want to aviod an export/import - I want to save as excel or export as excel .... - I am sending excel files to folks that don't even know how to create calc fields IN excel.

• 3. Re: export Excel with formulas
              Sorbsbuster

I'm trying to think why it is easier for you to create Excel calculations in a text field in Filemaker, then export the records in Excel format, to turn them into an Excel sheet.  Please - why would it not be easier to just create an Excel sheet...?

You could create a Filemaker script that exports the field data as a text file and opens up an Excel sheet, and then in the Excel sheet have a macro that runs on opening, imports the data (and does any messing around with it that you would want) and saves itself.

Filemaker could then e-mail the Excel sheet to your colleagues, if you want.  All of that could be one click of a button.