3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2009 6:44 PM by comment_1

Export field contents to XML file?

BobSchwenkler

Title

Export field contents to XML file?

I'm in FM 10. What's a way I can do this? I need to export a series of fields to XML files. I've tried using Export Field Contents, which gives me a blank file, and Export Records, which gives me everything. I tried creating a global field and creating a layout with just that and then Export Records, but that doesn't work either.

To clarify, I need to export code that's been calculated, and which is stored in a single field out as an XML file.

Thanks! 

• 1. Re: Export field contents to XML file?
          comment_1

Bob Schwenkler wrote:

I've tried using Export Field Contents, which gives me a blank file

What is the field's type?

---

Note that exporting the contents of a text field will always result in a UTF-16 encoded file - which some applications cannot handle. Besides, Filemaker can export as XML, so calculating the XML within a field is unnecessary.

• 2. Re: Export field contents to XML file?
            BobSchwenkler

Text type.

I did try the export records and save as XML, how do I use that to just export one field? If I have a layout with just the record and field in question will that give me only that field?

• 3. Re: Export field contents to XML file?
              comment_1

There is something missing from your description. Exporting a text field should not result in a blank file, if there is text in the field. It doesn't matter what the text is - XML code, a poem, or random characters.

Bob Schwenkler wrote:
              I did try the export records and save as XML, how do I use that to just export one field?

Same as any other type of export - you find the records you want to export from, and select the field/s to be exported in the export dialog.

Note however, that XML is a very wide defintion: in order to produce a XML file conforming to a specified schema, you'd usually write a custom XSLT stylesheet and tell Filemaker to use it during the export.