2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2014 12:19 PM by ChrisTate-Davies

Export hangs every time

ChrisTate-Davies

Title

Export hangs every time

I am trying to export a database to CSV. There are 23654 records, so not that many.

When the export "progress" dialog gets to 23223 remaining, it hangs. This happens on the Windows and the Mac version of Filemaker Pro 13

How can I find out whats making it hang? I guess maybe a corrupt record...

Screen_Shot_2014-04-14_at_17.38.36.png

• 1. Re: Export hangs every time
          philmodjunk

Have you tried running a recover on a copy of this file to see what results that produces? Any time you get a "hang" (fileMaker stops responding) or a "crash" (FileMaker, quits unexpectedly), checking for file damage with the recover tool is a good idea.

I can also find a reference to a 4GB limit when Importing records when I search the Known Bugs List Database, but there is no mention of whether or not this is true for exporting.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
          3.           Recover does not detect all problems
          5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).

• 2. Re: Export hangs every time
            ChrisTate-Davies

Well, I shut the lid of my macbook and went home.

Had my tea and sat down to have another look at it, opened the lid of the laptop and it started working again. I force quit the Mac application, but the Windows one is running in a VM and quite merrily exporting. Currently only got ~18000 left to go.

So what could that be? 

Thanks for your help on this