1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 21, 2009 2:55 PM by TSGal

Export options

Dean

Title

Export options

I am a school photographer and I am looking for a way to manage my images for the schools.  I need to import my images of the students (in bulk if I can) into a database and export the information in two ways.

1) save each jpg as "student_number.jpg" rather then the file name.

2) Print each students image with there name under the photo and have them saved as jpgs.

I am working with the trial version of FM right now and wondered if this can be done?  I have a csv file that has all the student information in it plus the name of the jpg file for each.  I am running mac os 10.5.8 

thanks

Dean 

• 1. Re: Export options
          TSGal

Dean:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.

With FileMaker Pro, you can import a folder of images into a table.  In a separate import step, you can import data from a text file.  Once the information is in the table, you can write a script that loops through the file saving each picture as a JPG with the Student Number.  A sample script could be:

Go to Record/Request/Page [ First ]

Loop

Set Variable [ $path ; "file: " & <student_number field> & ".jpg" ]

Export Field Contents [ <container field> ; $path ]

Go to Record/Request/Page [ Next ; Exit after last ]

End Loop

That is, go to the first record and enter the loop.  Set the variable $path to include the student_number field, and then export the Container field to $path.  Go to the next record and repeat the loop.  After you process the last record, the script exits.

You can print each students image with the name below it, but you can only save it as PDF; not JPG.  You'll need another graphics tool to put the name with the photo and save as JPG.

Please let me know if you need clarification for any of the above steps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.