4 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2010 10:05 AM by FentonJones

Export Report as JPEGs

jarvphot

Title

Export Report as JPEGs

Thanks in advance for your assistance. I am a novice Filemaker user working with FM11 on a Mac.

I have an image database which contains basic information for my photo collection such as ImageID, ImageTitle and a container with a JPEG of the photograph itself.

I have created a basic report where I want to display the image with the ImageID and ImageTitle as captions, one photo per page. Lets say there are 500 images in the database, so the report would be 500 pages.

Here is the question. Instead of printing the report, I would like to export the report as a series of JPEG images, ie 00001.jpg, 00002.jpg, 00003.jpg, etc and save these to a specific folder. This would allow me to print a particular image's report on my high-quality printer, have them printed by a service bureau, or email the files.

Can anyone suggest a method for accomplishing this task? I would greatly appreciate any help offered. Thank you.

• 1. Re: Export Report as JPEGs
          Mystick

I would make the script to keep the images as JPG on a file server and inside filemaker only keep the path to them (reference).

Then you could have scripts that email them, create report with them but you still have the possibility to access them as jpg files in your folders on your hard drive.

You could use plug-in Troi File for moving/renaming/browsing, etc the files on the drive.

On of the sample BD from filemaker shows how to create thumbnails using script, that could be nice and give you the possibility to print reports with only thumbnails, if needed...

good luck

• 2. Re: Export Report as JPEGs
            comment_1

IIUC, you want to generate a NEW image for each photo - showing the photo alongside some text taken from the photo's record. If so, this would be quite easy to do as a series of PDFs, rather than JPEGs.

• 3. Re: Export Report as JPEGs
              jarvphot

Thank you for your response.

For my workflow it would be much easier if I could generate jpgs instead of pdfs. Any way to accomplish specifically outputting to jpeg?

Thanks, Eric

• 4. Re: Export Report as JPEGs
                FentonJones

FileMaker can only output the image embedded in a container field as whatever it is. If a Jpeg was inserted, it will be a Jpeg, etc.. It can be named however you want, if you use a script Variable (script step), then use that to specify the file path. I won't go into that right now, as there's serveral posts about it here (and I'm supposed to get to work now :-).

If the exported image is not the correct graphic format or size, then you could use AppleScript to convert or resize it, using the background Image Events app or its Unix command line counterpart, sips. That could be run from FileMaker using the Perform AppleScript step, after the export. Or, you could just export 'em all, then use AppleScript or a (free) graphic conversion utility (search at versiontracker) to do the whole folder at once; better to do from FileMaker, as it could be done for all new images inserted also. 

However the external files method should also be considered; since it's obvious you need external ones as well. Then it's more about just linking to a FileMaker container field, and there's more than one way to do that. But we'd need to know more about your network to help with that.