1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 26, 2011 2:14 PM by philmodjunk

Export/Extract multiple records at once?

NicholasRoy

Title

Export/Extract multiple records at once?

QUESTION SET UP:

We use Filemaker to manage our database of Historical pictures. We have pictures grouped in multiple collections. I have been asked to extract/export abour 30% of our complete database (all 1 collection) and physically put it on a seperate hard drive. (I have never used Filemaker before)

I figured out how to manually do a search of collection, have all the pictures I need show up in 1 search result, then manually go through and export field contents to wherever I want. One at a time!

QUESTION: Is there a way to export/extract the contents of an entire search result (not the records of the search) but the contents as/in the images, and physically move or copy to new place? Can you do it with scripting? and if so how?

• 1. Re: Export/Extract multiple records at once?
          philmodjunk

That export field contents can be done from a script that loops through the records of your found set to export all the images to a specified location all in one go.

This will export the images to your desktop. Variations of it would export to other locations:

#Perform after you have found your records
          Go To Record [First]
          Loop
             Set Variable [$Path ; value: Get ( DesktopPath ) & YourTable::ImageName & ".jpg"]
             Export Field Contents [YourTable::YourcontainerField ; $Path ]
             Go To Record [ next ; exit after last ]
          End Loop

This script assumes that you have one image per record, that each record also has a field that can be used to uniquel name the file and that all of the images are JPEGs.