1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 11, 2013 8:37 AM by philmodjunk

Exported field shows as hash tags in Excel - fix in FM?

vlight

Title

Exported field shows as hash tags in Excel - fix in FM?

See screenshot for clarifying illustration.   I'm trying to fix a problem where sometimes a field's content looks fine in FM11, but when it gets exported to Excel, i get a line of hash tags (see yellow field in screenshot).   Any ideas how to eliminate that problem, from within FM??

ProblemExport_screenshot.png

• 1. Re: Exported field shows as hash tags in Excel - fix in FM?
          philmodjunk

You are exporting a very large block of text to Excel. I think you just need to widen the column to remove the hash tags, but you may also have exceeded the limits as to how much text you can import into a single Excel cell. Either way, it looks like an Excel limitation, not FileMaker. If you figure out that there's a limit on how much you can export, you'll have to figure out some way to export smaller blocks of text to the individual cells in Excel. You might use some calculation fields in FileMaker that return, for example, the first 255 characters of text from your text field and another that retuns characters 256 to the end and then you can export from the calculation fields. I don't know that 255 is the limit, just a guess on my part here.