5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2011 9:40 AM by mgores

Exportin Repeating fields into Non Repeating Fields

Malibux14x

Title

Exportin Repeating fields into Non Repeating Fields

Hello,

I updated my database and got rid of all repeating fields.

however, i have 2000 records with 10 repeating fields that i need to import into my new Database.

when i tried it just brings in the first entry of each.

is there a way to bring in all the entries in all 10 fields into the new database without repeating fields?

• 1. Re: Exportin Repeating fields into Non Repeating Fields
          philmodjunk

WHen you import data from one filemaker file into another, the last dialog that pops up should provide you with the option to split values in repeating fields into separate records. This very useful feature should be what you need to get all the data from your repeating fields imported into your new database.

• 2. Re: Exportin Repeating fields into Non Repeating Fields
            Malibux14x

Thank you for that.

i did that but now instead of having one record with 20 line items i have 20 records with one line item.

is there a way to import into one entry under the same client?

• 3. Re: Exportin Repeating fields into Non Repeating Fields
              philmodjunk

i did that but now instead of having one record with 20 line items i have 20 records with one line item.

That's exactly what result you should get here. I assumed you were importing your data into a line items table set up to replace your repeating field.

is there a way to import into one entry under the same client?

This should be a related table where you do not import the data from the repeating field at all. If you have a field such as a serial number field that uniquely identifies each client, you should set up a "unique values, validated always" validation option on that field before importing to filter out duplicate client records--but this is a separate issue from your original description of this problem.

A typical set of tables for this would look like this:

Clients----<Invoices-----<LineItems>-----Products

The structure of your original table may require you to import from different sets of fields into clients, invoices and lineItems...

• 4. Re: Exportin Repeating fields into Non Repeating Fields
                Malibux14x

ok that makes sense.  ill work on it and see what i come up with.

thanks again

• 5. Re: Exportin Repeating fields into Non Repeating Fields
                  mgores

are you trying to split the repeating fields into different records or into different non-repeating fields in the same record.

It would probably be more efficient database-wise to have each line item as a separate record in a line items table.  Before doing that impor though you would want to make sure there was a serial number field for each of the records in the original DB.  Then import that ID with the repeating fields into a new LineItem table, separating the repeating fields into separate records.  Now eventhough they are separate records they can be tied back to the original client or invoice record by that serial number by setting up the relationship between the original table and the new LineITems table.

Setting up multiple line item fields instead of repeating field can work too, but has many of the same limitations as repeating fields.  If you set up the DB for 10 line item fields, some customer will eventually order 11 things and it won't fit.