5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2012 11:59 AM by philmodjunk

Exporting a field to a Microsoft Word Doc

kilbot

Title

Exporting a field to a Microsoft Word Doc

I have been exporting the fields needed as a .mer file and then opening it with word. Is there a way to do this so "quotations" are not placed around the text?

• 1. Re: Exporting a field to a Microsoft Word Doc
          philmodjunk

What do you get if you export to a text file using the tab option instead of merge?

Merge is a special format intended for use with MS Word to produce "form letters" that merge the data from the merge file with text added in MS Word so it may not be the best file format for what you want to do.

• 2. Re: Exporting a field to a Microsoft Word Doc
            kilbot

Is that a better way to do merge letters? I was just creating the letter in a layout (FMPro) and incorporating merge fields.

• 3. Re: Exporting a field to a Microsoft Word Doc
              philmodjunk

Is that a better way to do merge letters?

It depends on what you are trying to do. Multiple Page form letters will have better page breaks in Word than in FileMaker.

If you are creating the letter in FileMaker, why are you exporting to Word?

• 4. Re: Exporting a field to a Microsoft Word Doc
                kilbot

I have case notes that concerning each complainant and I wanted them to go to word and print out the contents of fields used in case notes.

Basically I have a table CASENOTES linked to CASES and in that table I have fields for created_date, note, investigator. The exporting as a tab file seemed to work well. It brought over all of the fields and dropped the quotations.

However I do have form letters like I was explaining and they are multiple pages. Do you information or know where there is good information on designing form letters in word useing a .mer file? and how it works?

• 5. Re: Exporting a field to a Microsoft Word Doc
                  philmodjunk

I have case notes that concerning each complainant and I wanted them to go to word and print out the contents of fields used in case notes.

What problem does that solve for you? Couldn't you get what you need just printing from FileMaker?

I haven't used Word to generate a form letter in years. You'll need to read the help files in Word to figure this out unless another person chimes in with specifics.