4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2015 7:08 AM by Atcha

Exporting container field

Atcha

Title

Exporting container field

Hi,

I have a container field in which I store references to picture files. When I tried to export the table containing that field using File Export Records FM won't let me add the container field to the list of fields to be exported. Is that expected behaviour? Can I circumvent it?

• 1. Re: Exporting container field
          philmodjunk

That is expected behavior. Most of the file formats you would export have no way to handle data from a container field and export records does not allow you to specify a container field in the export. You can, however, export the file path to the file if the file was inserted into the container field with the "store a reference" option.

Export Field Contents can be used to export the contents of a container field.

• 2. Re: Exporting container field
            Atcha

Thanks, I was afraid that might be the case (one might have expected the program to "know" that the container only holds a path reference when one has explicitly chosen the option to "store a reference"). I take it the "export the file path" includes the file name too (otherwise it is quite useless)?

• 3. Re: Exporting container field
              philmodjunk

Filepaths include the file name, but there is no such "export option". You have to set up a calculation field that extracts the file path from the container field and you export the contents of that calculation field.

• 4. Re: Exporting container field
                Atcha

Good idea. That should do the trick. Thanks.