3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2012 10:53 AM by philmodjunk

Exporting data from file maker pro into an Excel sheet of a different format

StephanieWeber

Title

Exporting data from file maker pro into an Excel sheet of a different format

Hello all,

I'm attempting to use Filemaker Pro 11 and am having some issues on exporting data from FM Pro to Excel.  I'm not very technology savvy but I will attempt to explain what I need:

I made a template in FM Pro that I am planning on using for keeping track of research data.  It looks similar to a form as it has different boxes for different pieces of data around the page.  What I am trying to say is that it doesn't look like the traditional Excel sheet format that is used in many of the tutorial videos for exporting. Each sheet represents research data for an individual test subject. 

What we would like to do is do an export of this data into an Excel sheet that could group each individual based on its group name so that averages of each group can be calculated and figures/graphs made to denote weight changes, growths, etc. rather than having to copy and paste weekly individual data and input the equations into separate groups. 

I have already attempted to just do a mass export to see what it would do to our study template and it basically made a horizontal sheet with separate headers for each individual test subject and their corresponding data points instead of grouping the data in a specific test group.

I have included a JPEG of the FM Pro sheet that we have created to input individual data to give you all a better idea on what I am trying to explain.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Untitled_Page_001.jpg

• 1. Re: Exporting data from file maker pro into an Excel sheet of a different format
          philmodjunk

On this layout, does each row of data represent a different record (It should) or did you use a different set of fields for every row?

And how does this need to look in your spread sheet?

• 2. Re: Exporting data from file maker pro into an Excel sheet of a different format
            StephanieWeber

What we are trying to do is, in Filemaker Pro, have each individual test subject represent a record and then export that individual data to Excel into group records.  If we have 5 groups with 5 test subjects (hypothetical numbers), we would have 25 sheets of data in Filemaker Pro but can export that weekly data into 5 Excel group sheets.  There we can average the data (such as weight gain/loss and tumor growth) for the 5 test subjects into just that 1 test group.  Basically, what I am hoping is that I can just export from our template and route it to an Excel template of some kind for an easy transfer.

I'm trying to get an upload of what the export looks like when I do it.  When I do, I can post it for you.  It is basically lining up all of the headers across the top and telling me that it can only take the first line of data in the export denoting the first test subject's data.

• 3. Re: Exporting data from file maker pro into an Excel sheet of a different format
              philmodjunk

I don't want what it looks like, I want to see what you need to get when you get the data into the actual spread sheet.

I take that your screen shot is of a single record? If so, this is a design that will make your export of the data difficult. Breaking this data up into individual records will make it much easier to work with--both in exporting and within your Filemaker database. This can be done and you can still get the layout you have posted in this thread to work for you.