10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2013 10:51 AM by KelseyGrim

Exporting Data From FMP 6

KelseyGrim

Title

Exporting Data From FMP 6

Hello,

I am attempting to export data from FMP version 6, running as a multi-user or peer-to-peer database on a Windows OS. The 'admin' password that I have does not work, and the only other password I have does not give me the rights to export any data as the export option is grayed out. As far as I can tell I have no way of opening the database in a 'single-user' mode to see if that would help at all ...

Ultimately I am trying to export our database into XML, CSV or TXT so that I can back-up our data as well as have the opportunity to import it into a newer version of FMP or other database management tool. I have already tried opening the database with no other users logged on, and have even copied the fp5 files over to my PC and opened the database from that location to remove the option of 'hosting' the data, but nothing seems to work. 

Is there a way for me to override whatever admin password may exist, via a developer password perhaps? So far all I have found is a FileMaker Key passware which I would have to purchase, and I would of course prefer to not have to invest anything to gain access to my own data, especially if it doesn't work. Apparently File Maker has stopped supporting their own software so I am at a loss here. Any help would be appreciated.

-Kelsey

• 1. Re: Exporting Data From FMP 6
          philmodjunk

FileMaker 6 is a very old version of FileMaker.

The 'admin' password that I have does not work,

appears to be the crux of the matter. Any ideas why it doesn't work? Did it work in the past or did another user give you this password and it hasn't worked for you? (Suggesting that you weren't given the correct password.)

I don't see that you have any option other than to acquire a utility that "cracks" the file by either telling you the password (They aren't encrypted in FileMaker 6 as far as I know) or by inserting a new admin password.

If it tells you the existing password, I'd do this on a copy of my file and then use the password to open the working copy.

But you can also back up your database without exporting any data at all. There are several options for simply copying your files--either through Save A Copy As or by closing the file then using the OS or a backup utility to copy the file.

• 2. Re: Exporting Data From FMP 6
            KelseyGrim

I have no idea why the admin password does not work. The creator of the this password used it in the past with no issues that I am aware of, and saved all of her passwords in a file which is what she referenced in the past and what  we reference today, so I doubt it is incorrect.

How can I insert a new admin password if the password I have does not give me any security/ password management rights either? Can I simply 'change the password' and set new admin rights?

• 3. Re: Exporting Data From FMP 6
              philmodjunk

Either it is incorrect--perhaps it was changed and the change was not recorded in this file, or your file is damaged. You can try running a recover on the file to see what happens, but if there is damage to the security settings in a file, the most common result is a message telling you that the file cannot be repaired.

How can I insert a new admin password if the password I have does not give me any security/ password management rights either? Can I simply 'change the password' and set new admin rights?

You can't with just FileMaker. You have to use that utility that you don't want to pay for to extract the password or insert a new one. (Different versions of this utility do one or the other has I understand it. I haven't ever needed to use one personally.)

• 4. Re: Exporting Data From FMP 6
                KelseyGrim

Oh, and I do not have any "save a copy as" options for the fp5 files, and no other file type options when saving from FMP.

• 5. Re: Exporting Data From FMP 6
                  philmodjunk

You wouldn't have other file type options with save a copy as. That would make no sense at all since this option is for making a copy of the complete file.

Save a copy is not available on client machines when it is hosted over the network. But it is available on the host machine (when hosted from FileMaker Pro instead of server and if your password permits it).

But even if you can't use Save A Copy As... , you can close the file on the server and then make copies of the closed file to back it up. Not as convenient as other options, but it does work...

• 6. Re: Exporting Data From FMP 6
                    KelseyGrim

Right, I have already made copies of the fp5 files, but I am looking for away to access/ view the data without having to open it in FMP so I need to save it as a new file type  :(

• 7. Re: Exporting Data From FMP 6
                      philmodjunk

Frankly, I recommend that you upgrade to a newer version of FileMaker. Not only will you gain capabilities not possible in FileMaker 6, but the day will come when your current computers die and you find that your replacement equipment use newer OS versions that no longer support something as old as FileMaker 6.

• 8. Re: Exporting Data From FMP 6
                        KelseyGrim

Can we even do that if we cannot export our database and convert/ update the file types?

• 9. Re: Exporting Data From FMP 6
                          philmodjunk

You could probably convert the files, but the same issues with no working admin password would continue. Whether you stick with version 6 or upgrade, you need that password and it looks like spending money is the only way that's going to happen.

But recover a copy of the file first. If the file is damaged, there's no point in spending that money.

• 10. Re: Exporting Data From FMP 6
                            KelseyGrim

Thank you for your help.